sBitx - any good ?

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
Andrew (grayhat)

sBitx - any good ?

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

Just noticed that the same folk(s) behind the uBitx made a new model, this one is called sBitx

https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/sbitx-v3/

and seems to offer quite a buch of features, but then it's an SDR and I wonder if it may be plagued by the same issues of other SDR based rigs, including the fact that they often have a too wide frontend and tend to overload in presence of strong signals

So... does anyone have infos/pointers related to the sBitx ?
w2tef

Re: sBitx - any good ?

Post by w2tef »

No info per se: I just stumbled across the sBitx this week myself. It looks fascinating. Though the price is approaching that of a used IC-7300.

I did notice some cross-pollination: a couple of the sages from the QRP-Labs forum (Allison KB1GMX, Evan AC9TU) are also answering questions on the BITX20 forum (where sbitx is the main topic of conversation). Also Farhan, the designer.

Definitely something to keep an eye on. I, too, am interested in infos / pointers!
Ikey

Re: sBitx - any good ?

Post by Ikey »

Got one.
Only using it with the native FT8 program, no other modes.
A bit nervous about the reports of blown finals over 2:1 SWR and the spares included.
Operating at 70% power and just made qso number 275.
It runs very well, some minor quirks and unfamiliarity with Linux.
Neighbor ham saw it and got one, he reports the same results.
This is hard to explain, but I feel, reading the .io blog that the folks are more interested in Raspberry pi than they are about the fact that this is a ham radio.
Ira KB2DJJ