TR-35 group/forum

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
MarkJY

Re: TR-35 group/forum

Post by MarkJY »

Don’t think so. If it does it’s an undocumented feature.

Mark
W8EWH
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

ki4mcw wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:09 pm Is anyone else having trouble with the tuning encoder? Mine tunes downward just fine, but when spinning the knob quickly to tune upward, it skips pretty badly, sometimes even ending up on a frequency lower than where it started. It's probably a $3 part, so I'm not offended, just curious if anyone else has seen the same behavior.

Rob KI4MCW
I have not seen this problem with my radio.

Brian - K3ES
wg4z

Post by wg4z »

I have TR-35 coming. Is it best to use a 3.5mm Mono to Stereo adapter when using earbuds or just use one earbud. I’m interested in whether you just listen with one ear or two?

Max -WG4Z
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

wg4z wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:11 pm I have TR-35 coming. Is it best to use a 3.5mm Mono to Stereo adapter when using earbuds or just use one earbud. I’m interested in whether you just listen with one ear or two?

Max -WG4Z
Hi Max,

I took delivery of my TR-35 in early March, and it provides sound in both ears using earbuds equipped with a stereo 3.5mm plug. I have heard that later versions may not do so. As far as sound in one ear versus two, I have tried both ways with another of my QRP rigs, and I prefer sound in two ears. Sound in one ear worked, it was just a matter of preference.

73 de Brian - K3ES
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

I have just built mine and only have sound from one earbud. The instructions show a simple mod so that your can have sound from both but caution the user to never insert a mono plug if you do the mod. As it is in its unmodified state you can use either a mono or stereo jack, but will only get single channel audio.
KB4VU

Post by KB4VU »

Hi,
I recently built a TR35 and have only used it in my shack so far. I do POTA activations, but it's been
so hot down here I haven't taken it out so far, but an anxious to do so.
I watched a Youtube video by John AE5X doing an activation with the TR35, and he had some
small folding feet on the back of it to tilt it up some. I've been trying to find some of them with
no success and was wondering if maybe someone in this group knows of a source for them. I
thought I would check here first before I bother him with an E-mail

Thanks & 73's Frank KB4VU
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

Hi Frank,

John - AE5X linked the Amazon site for the feet to one of his TR-35 videos:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooling-Improves ... B07772JBX1

GL and best 73 de Brian - K3ES
KB4VU

Post by KB4VU »

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the reply about the feet for the TR35. I looked on Amazon before and didn't see them.
I will watch that video and look again. It's a great little radio and I'm anxious to get out and do a
POTA activation with it. I am going to rig it up with my QRPWerx SideKar Extreme for logging.

Thanks again & 73's
Frank KB4VU
wg4z

Post by wg4z »

Brian, could you provide the dimensions of your EFHW that you use with the TR-35? Thanks. Max - WG4Z
wg4z

Post by wg4z »

I took my TR-35 to field day and it did a great job. From NC, I worked into Canada and made several contacts on a tri-band beam and also using a G5RV. It was a blast and many folks in the radio club were interested in the TR-35. Also paired it with a new ATU-10 and had no problems with the ATU getting a match. The entire rig and tuner fit into a lunchbox size case.

Loving the TR-35.

Max - WG4Z