Testing new gear in the field.

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
K8DRTQRP

Testing new gear in the field.

Post by K8DRTQRP »

I recently acquired some used gear and had to test it in a parking lot. I used a multimeter and a QRP Guys dummy load to test power output. It all worked fine.

I proceeded to go into the field for a POTA activation with the new gear. Now this is all gear I've never seen or used so the learning curve was sharp. Anyone else ever just give it go with new gear without really using it first?

Here's a write up on the experience.

https://k8drtqrp.com/2022/07/21/same-old-park-new-gear/

K8DRT
Ray
KB4VU

Re: Testing new gear in the field.

Post by KB4VU »

Hi Ray,
Lucky you! I'd love to find a package like that with all that great gear. I can't really comment on the Alex Loop as I have no experience with loops,
but that bandwidth on 40 meters is really narrow. I generally use EFHW's or a Wolf River coil vertical on my activations.
The bands haven't been all that great for a few days so I wouldn't worry about the few contacts. It's so darn hot down here in FL I haven't been out
for an activation and I'm really itching to get out again. My hunter log has even dried up here lately with the propagation and getting mainly dupes
and no new parks. In October my wife and I are going to rent a cabin in the N Georgia mountains close to a number of nice parks and she gave me
permission to bring my radios along. Happy Days!
Have fun with your new toys and I'll be looking for you.

72/44 Frank KB4VU