What QRP Rigs do you have, and how do you use them?

Do you have general comments, notes or questions you'd like to share with others? This is the place.
WA4RXO

Re: What QRP Rigs do you have, and how do you use them?

Post by WA4RXO »

I have a Xiegu X6100 presently, and a KX2 on order. I find that I prefer portable operation much more than sitting inside at a desk. I have an Icom 7300 that seldom gets used because I'm sitting on the porch, or in a park with the QRP rig. My brother (also a ham) thinks I'm a little strange, so it's not for everyone. I use the radio every day, at least to hunt a little POTA.
WA4RXO

Post by WA4RXO »

I have a Xiegu X6100 presently, and a KX2 on order. I find that I prefer portable operation much more than sitting inside at a desk. I have an Icom 7300 that seldom gets used because I'm sitting on the porch, or in a park with the QRP rig. My brother (also a ham) thinks I'm a little strange, so it's not for everyone. I use the radio every day, at least to hunt a little POTA.

John, WA4RXO
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

A quick update to my rig lineup:

I have moved the Heathkit HW-9 to my main operating desk. It's the only rig I own that has the bands above 20m.
I'm having a blast working 17 and 15 meters!
Rick N8TGQ
WD8PCU

Post by WD8PCU »

Greetings Hams one & all.

Well I modified a dead Kenwood TS 820S by Disconnecting the HV and pulling out the Finals, & rewiring the Driver tube tuning circuit directly to the regular Plate & Load control circuit.
The receiver remains intact & unmodified.
OK guys here is the result !!! Regular SSB contacts on 20 & 15 & 10 meters of > 1200 miles.
Many were 1200 miles using 1 watt output PEP both ways !
One contact was 2500 miles away.
My antenna is a homebrew umbrella design vertical.
It is a 36 foot pole & is ground mounted & is fed with a Balun Design Engineering Model 4134 A UNUN.
Now on the top of the 36 foot pole are 14 gage Horizontal elements that are each 36 feet long & they attach directly via a hose clamp to the pole.
In essence I am feeding the Horizontal elements dead center @ the max current node so that the antenna is voltage fed in phase with the current node.
The Kenwood TS 820 S is now my favorite especially now as a ORP rig.
I never ever thought QRP SSB would ever work !
This has certainly made a believer out of me.

Dan WD8PCU
G4LJW

Post by G4LJW »

I just sold my K2/100. Now I just have the K2/10!
It mainly stays in the “shack” up in a bedroom.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I have these systems, and I use them for POTA/SOTA; for CW only ~
• Discovery TX-500 with separate factory battery pack; plus a second BAT500 battery pack and PA500 power amp, both by Oliver DL4KA;
• Mountain Topper MTR-4b, v2.

My key for POTA/SOTA is a little Begali Adventure Mono.

I'm nuts about each of them.
K2ZA

Post by K2ZA »

An embarrassment of riches really…

In the shack:

KX3 / PX3 / KXPA100 (in line for the wide range tuner, thinking about parting with it as the KX3 is almost always at 5w)
K2/100 Turned down to 5w. If Elecraft ever ships the KIO2 I have on order, I’ll convert this rig back to a K2/10
Hermes-Lite 2 QRP SDR

In the field:

2x FT-818ND for portable satellite operating
K1 general POTA ops
K2/10 (#2) POTA vehicle ops
KX1 POTA/SOTA
KH1 (on order) dedicated SOTA rig

I really should thin the herd, but like Thomas I love all my radios, each one in a different way…

73 de John K2ZA
k8zfj

Post by k8zfj »

in the shack the IC 705 coupled to a seldom used HR50 Amp.

for POTA or portable one of two Penntek TR35s

72s de randy
KU9L

Post by KU9L »

My Current & Past HF Rigs, 90% CW ~14-15 WPM due to arthritis.

- Elecraft K2 Rev A - Sold on eBay in 2020 a month before I heard about this POTA stuff, Argh.
- Icom IC-718, I turn it down to 5 watts when I need to use anything above 17M, 250Hz IF filter.
- Penntek TR-35, my first most recent "commercial" QRP 5W CW rig, used when I have to hike into a POTA park.
- Penntek TR-45L Skinny, My dream QRP 5W rig used whenever I park near a picnic table to activate.
- Icom IC-R75 W/250Hz CW filters. Used with my Home Brew Two Tinned Tunas Kits.

Kits:
- QRPme Super Tuna ][+ W/Band Modules for 80,40, 30, 20, & 10M. 2-Watts, 3kHz VXO, CW only. Currently being built & tested, POTA Activator.
- QRPme 40th Anniversary Tuna Tin 2 (TT2), 40M xtal control, w/Mods raising Power from 275mw to 850mw.
- QRPme 40th Anniversary Tuna Tin 2 (TT2), 30M xtal control, w/Mods raising Power from 250mw to 800mw.
- QRPme Beaconator, xtal control, 5+ bands with band modules, w/Mods raising Power from 250mw to 800+mw.
- QRPme Sudden Storm Direct Conversion RX, Xtal control, w/VXO w/band modules for 80-20, & 10M.
- QRPme Redwood 1000 Direct Conversion RX, Xtal control, w/VXO w/band modules for 80-20M, & 10M.
- QRPme Tuna Tunah, EFHW Inductive/Capacitive Tuner for 80M-10M, 15kHz Q Bandwidth between manual tune attempts, perfect for xtal control.
- 2x QRPme Tuna Helper, T/R Switch + Dummy Load & Peak-N-Hold Circuit for measuring power output.
- QRPme Tuna Monitor, Visual LED faux vacuum tube LED transmit indicator w/built-in dummy load.
- QRPme Tuna Power, SLA battery charger, and 12V/5V/USB power distribution hub.

Others are in the works ...

Davey - KU9L/QRPp
Full-time RVer, semi-retired
w0rw

Post by w0rw »

i got my QRP DXCC with my Wilderness Sierra.
It was the blue rig seen here:
https://www.qsl.net/g3vgr/sierra.html
It had the little plug in modules for each band.
Mine had the KC-2 LCD Display and the DL-PA mounted on the back wall for 5W output.
All done on a dipole in a tree.
What a great rig !
Made by N6KR.
Paul w0rw