Frequency Agile Antennas

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
KB7PWJ

Re: Frequency Agile Antennas

Post by KB7PWJ »

I use both 49:1 band-tuned EFHWAs and random wires with a manual tuner. (ZM-2 when on the road, ancient giant MFJ 949B when QRO and/or at my desk.)

Either combo is fine, though I tend to lean toward the wild wire and tuner because paired with my slingshot antenna launcher it gets me 'way up in the sky, where the DX is. It's also perfectly agile; I jot down the settings for each band after brief exploration and thereafter switch bands in seconds by referring to those figures. (In fact, since I almost always use the same premade wires, I just bring the notes from the first time and skip even the exploration.)

I only use an EFHWA when I'm afield with a monoband rig, which works out well because I'm often going light at those times, too.

I really don't see any reason to do this any other way. Just extra trouble for little payoff.

Hope that's useful.
SkipRD

Post by SkipRD »

w4mkh wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:58 pm My mobile setup is based around hamsticks. I have tuned them mounted on both a tripod and a stake mount using three 33' radials. I marked the steel whip part with a permanent marker to show the resonant point of the whips for each hamstick. So when portable I setup the band I want to use and adjust the other hamsticks to the marked resonant point and lay them on the ground so that they are ready. If I want to change bands it is a quick task to unscrew one hamstick and screw the desired one onto the tripod.

For transport I simply loosen the set screw and slide the whip all the way into the coil base then attach a velcro loop.

This may be cumbersome for hiking into your activation site but for short hauls it works okay.
Another option for those buying into the hamstick option for the first time are the Shark-brand hamsticks. The whip inserts into a removable collar so that the antenna can be broken down into two pieces without removing (or altering the length of) the whip. Besides a little extra convenience, that design spares me from losing the stupid little allen wrench that, despite my best efforts, I have an uncanny ability to misplace. :lol:

73 Skip K4EAK
w4mkh

Post by w4mkh »

SkipRD wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:07 am
w4mkh wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:58 pm My mobile setup is based around hamsticks. I have tuned them mounted on both a tripod and a stake mount using three 33' radials. I marked the steel whip part with a permanent marker to show the resonant point of the whips for each hamstick. So when portable I setup the band I want to use and adjust the other hamsticks to the marked resonant point and lay them on the ground so that they are ready. If I want to change bands it is a quick task to unscrew one hamstick and screw the desired one onto the tripod.

For transport I simply loosen the set screw and slide the whip all the way into the coil base then attach a velcro loop.

This may be cumbersome for hiking into your activation site but for short hauls it works okay.
Another option for those buying into the hamstick option for the first time are the Shark-brand hamsticks. The whip inserts into a removable collar so that the antenna can be broken down into two pieces without removing (or altering the length of) the whip. Besides a little extra convenience, that design spares me from losing the stupid little allen wrench that, despite my best efforts, I have an uncanny ability to misplace. :lol:

73 Skip K4EAK
I have the Shark brand Hamsticks. I opted to just loosen the set screw and drop the whip in. Sliding the whip out and tightening it isn't much of an issue for me and it means that each hamstick is just one piece to deal with. Your method would save a little time and I may try it out if I can find a better way to carry them into the field. I need a small nylon carry bag long enough to hold them; something like a tripod bag to throw on my shoulder. Still looking.
wg4z

Post by wg4z »

I almost always use an arborist throw line to launch my EFHW as an inverted vee. Only the throw line goes over the tree limb and is used to pull up the center of the inverted vee.
I connect the throwline to a nylon loop with a larks head knot around the wire. This allows placement of the point to which I want the inverted vee pulled up. I got the idea for this attachment technique from Chameleon's antenna that has a ring that slides along the wire that could be attached to the throw line. A ring might work even better which would allow the center point to be pulled up to make an inverted vee depending on where the end points are secured.

I have found the inverted vee to work as good or better than antennas launched as a sloper, inverted L, etc. Any other opinions regarding the launch configuration of your antennas? I also have the starting endpoint of the EFHW at ground level. The far end is either connected with a line to a stake at ground level but sometimes tied to a low tree branch or bush with nylon line. What configuration to you find that works best for you?

Max - WG4Z