Diamond HF-20cl as POTA antenna?

Do you have general comments, notes or questions you'd like to share with others? This is the place.
Geotek

Diamond HF-20cl as POTA antenna?

Post by Geotek »

Greetings

I wonder if anyone has used the Diamond hf-20cl mobile antenna as a POTA antenna with a ground spike or tripod elevated antenna? I would like to discuss or get ideas for ground radials or ground screen for using the antenna a a quick install field antenna? It's a great antenna, center loaded antenna, no tune broadband that works great in the car, but I would like to experiment with it as a field antenna?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Tom
N8TGQ

Re: Diamond HF-20cl as POTA antenna?

Post by N8TGQ »

I used to use hamsticks on a tripod or groundstake. I used a quarter-wave counterpoise laid out along the ground.
It worked ok but running it on the car always worked better.
I figured if I needed more than one counterpoise, I may as well set up a regular dipole, since it would take as much space and wire.
Once I learned about end-fed half-wave antennas, that's all I use now.
But the tripod and 1 counterpoise will work.
Rick N8TGQ
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

Geotek wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:53 pm Greetings

I wonder if anyone has used the Diamond hf-20cl mobile antenna as a POTA antenna with a ground spike or tripod elevated antenna? I would like to discuss or get ideas for ground radials or ground screen for using the antenna a a quick install field antenna? It's a great antenna, center loaded antenna, no tune broadband that works great in the car, but I would like to experiment with it as a field antenna?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Tom
have a look here

http://pa-11019.blogspot.com/2011/07/no ... ckers.html

it may give you some ideas :)
Geotek

Post by Geotek »

N8tgq

What did you use for an end-fed antenna? A commercial product or home brew. How did you support the “high” end of the antenna -did you use a fiberglass pole? How did you secure the pole in the field. My hf-29cl wools pretty well mounted to the car but was thinking a of a spike mount and a ground screen or a camera tripod with elevated radials.
Tom