POTA QRP

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
Brian - K3ES

POTA QRP

Post by Brian - K3ES »

Thomas's last field report and video motivated me to take my TX-500 Discovery out in the woods over the weekend. I paired it with a linked 40m EFHW wire antenna set up as an inverted V with the apex at 40' (12m). A 6 Ah Bioenno LiFePO4 battery powered 5 hours of CW activation at 5 watts, with no sign of running out of juice. I made 106 contacts from K-1345, Cook Forest State Park during that 5 hours of operation across 3 Zulu days. I used 15' (4.5m) RG316 feedline with no other counterpoise, CW Morse pocket paddles, and earbuds connected to the speaker-mic with a 3.5mm stereo female to 3.5mm mono male adapter. Logging was strictly old-school using a Pentel 0.9mm writing stick and a Rite in the Rain notebook.

40m was the most productive band, with a few contacts on 30m, and much fewer than expected on 20m. I am grateful to all of the hunters who made this fun possible.

All-in-all, a great weekend with a great radio!

73 de Brian - K3ES
w4mkh

Re: POTA QRP

Post by w4mkh »

Thanks for the report Brian.

Sounds like you had fun and that is the most important part of the puzzle.
W4CAN

Re: POTA QRP

Post by W4CAN »

Great job Brian! I also have the TX-500 and am looking forward to doing my very first POTA activation sometime this summer.