SDR Radios

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
sufusodak

SDR Radios

Post by sufusodak »

Are SDR radios a good choice for ham beginners? Thanks!
KK4Z

Re: SDR Radios

Post by KK4Z »

The radio (HF) that I recommend for new hams is the IC-7300. it's a great radio, with great features and a reasonable price. Performance wise, it's the most bang for the buck. The Yaesu equivalent would probably be the FTDX10 which is also a nice radio, but a bit pricier. I have a friend who has both. He likes the Yaesu receiver but prefers the Icom's ergonomics.
72 de Scott KK4Z
Blog kk4z.com
YouTube https://tinyurl.com/j2h8hwht
ke2yk

Post by ke2yk »

I own a 7300. Been around Ham Radio since the 90s. For a CW op like myself, I am wondering what a more expensive HF rig would offer over the 7300? I have seen the Yaesu menu system on the mobile HF radio 9100A? It made me cringe! 72 de ke2yk
K4SWL
Site Admin

Post by K4SWL »

Honestly? You can't go wrong either way.

Most modern HF transceivers are based on SDR technology. Some (like the IC-705, TX-500, X6100, etc.) have spectrum displays which do give you an idea of what's "in the neighborhood" as you band scan. Some SDR-based transceivers also make digital modes a little more accessible and easy to configure, especially if they have internal sound cards.

At the end of the day, though, any transceiver will work for you as you learn the ropes! I would suggest considering those radios in your budget that you feel you'd enjoy operating. Most modern HF transceivers pack enough performance; it's often more about the radio suiting your operating style.

Cheers,
Thomas
K4SWL
w4mkh

Post by w4mkh »

K4SWL wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:06 pm Honestly? You can't go wrong either way.

Most modern HF transceivers are based on SDR technology. Some (like the IC-705, TX-500, X6100, etc.) have spectrum displays which do give you an idea of what's "in the neighborhood" as you band scan. Some SDR-based transceivers also make digital modes a little more accessible and easy to configure, especially if they have internal sound cards.

At the end of the day, though, any transceiver will work for you as you learn the ropes! I would suggest considering those radios in your budget that you feel you'd enjoy operating. Most modern HF transceivers pack enough performance; it's often more about the radio suiting your operating style.

Cheers,
Thomas
K4SWL
Well said.

The only thing I would add is that I don't think QRP is the right choice for a first HF radio for most people. It will work but if you are hunting POTA or chasing DX then the lower power level makes it harder to bust the pileups. That can be very discouraging for new hams and it can turn them away from the hobby because they are not making contacts. If you want to activate a POTA or SOTA site or you are the desirable DX then you should do alright.

The IC-7300 is a good radio for learning the ropes as is th FT-891 though the latter's menu driven interface can be intimidating.

And with any radio the antennas system is critical. A crappy radio with a good antenna is better than the best radio with a crappy antenna.
sufusodak

Post by sufusodak »

Thank you everyone for your replies. Very helpful!
anothergeezer

Post by anothergeezer »

I agree that the 7300 is probably the best all around radio for beginners or thrifty (cheap) hams like myself. It seems to do everything at least reasonably well. It has a clock battery which, if not powered at the power connectors, will discharge in a few days. That was the only not positive part of the radio that I remember. Great rig. 73