My new FX-4CR QRP Radio

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
KN3A

My new FX-4CR QRP Radio

Post by KN3A »

A few months ago I put in my order for the FX-4CR QRP radio, and I received it about 2 weeks ago now. It exceeds my expectations of it as soon as I set it up in the shack. I've taken it out on 3 POTA activations, however too cold to really hike with it yet. I purchased a case for it that fits nicely in and total weight including my spark plug and EFHW is 7.5 pounds. Without the case would be a couple pounds less. In the summer I may opt for one of my other cases more friendly for backpacking. The man behind the radio is Yu, BG2FX, and he is a one man show, and is quite active in the FB group. It will do 20 watts SSB, 10 watts on CW and recommended 5 watts for digital modes. I also got the optional fan for it when I ordered it. Now my IC 705 is like the forgotten radio now. I won't make any decisions just quite yet, but there may not be much use for it anymore with this radio which is a game changer for me. I also have a QMX that I might part with now as well.

Here's a link to the very first time I used the radio the day after I got it. At the time I recorded the video I had no idea I had a broken spark plug and the SWR was really bad. I also use a DJI Action 3 camera and unfortunately it's blurry in the video. If anyone is looking for a well built, solid QRP radio, this is one to look into for your next radio! The size of the radio is smaller than the display screen in my IC 7300 and IC 705.

72 Scott
KN3A

Link to video: https://youtu.be/gBWpiid014s?si=EzOG4BadGuFXqx3-