K2

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
Kelley

K2

Post by Kelley »

Hello, I’m wondering it the Elecraft K2 is still a good radio in 2022. I’ve always liked the looks and size, now save enough to purchase a new one. Currently own a KX2, CTX-10 and FT-817 but local hams keep saying no. Get a small 100W rig. I’ve done Qrp SSB for the last 15 years and found it make me work and build good antennas. I only play radio while camping, in a park or a drive up SOTA as I’m too old and out of shape to hike. Plus my qth is qrm ridden and in a HOA. So just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on the K2?

Kelley
Jim72Upson

Re: K2

Post by Jim72Upson »

Well…I hope others chime in, as I’ve never had a K2…

Like you I am a portable QRP/SSB op with my KX2 and KX3…with resonant antennas. Recently achieved SOTA Goat status with these 2 radios….again, all SSB. I even operate standing up…

Nevertheless I’ll tell you what I think.

I recall reading somewhere how some people LOVE the analog sound a K2 produces….but I think they were mostly CW ops. Beyond that “nostalgic” benefit….your KX2 will, I believe, run circles around a K2.

So I am not really sure I’d recommend a K2….unless you “ just want one”. New, very pricy….beyond what I think would make sense to spend….but then we know radio hobby is a bit of a disease leading to ignoring what our brains tell us about making sense….

I LOVE my KX2 so much I’ve sometimes thought about buying a 2nd just to have one as a backup!!! But I’ve decided to wait to see if Elecraft eventually produces some sort of a “KX4” to compete with other current modern-ish radios.

If you get tempted towards more power…you could, of course, get an amp….but I’ve always turned away from that idea…I love SSB….that’s my story and I am sticking with it ….

Probably not helpful….but that’s all I got🙃

Jim /AC3B
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Jim, thanks for the reply. This hobby is a disease and yes there are better things to throw money at. Congratulations on the goat! Goes to show a good antenna and a little work can go a long way. Plus we have the sun coming around to our side now. Maybe I should look for a used K2 with SSB. My KX2 is almost with me 24/7 I play in the park during lunch. Go camping with it as I am doing now. With two efhw 18 and 20 or a custom built buddistick.

Jim, again thanks and hope to hear you on the air.
Kelley / KF7ZVL
K1GC

Post by K1GC »

I considered a K2 for quite some time, as I was looking for a more KX2/KX3 like experience in the shack with the option to run 100W. The small amount of comparisons I could do did suggest that my KX2 or KX3 would perform better for me in most situations. There was little gain to be had for me with a 10W K2 (over the portables) and maybe losses in some areas, but of course if you got a 100W K2 there would be that advantage for occasionally running a bit more power.

Once I got into looking at 100W K2's with SSB I quickly realized that you start getting into lower end K3 pricing territory pretty quickly. For just a bit more money, a K3 without too many options could be had, and that would have a similar interface to the KX2 or KX3. I ended up upselling myself to a K3 with a few more bells and whistles and I now run that in the shack, but rarely at more than 25W and usually at QRP levels. I run the K3 as a CW only rig and it has been fantastic so far (only had since January). I really like that I can jump between it and the KX2 or KX3 with little thought, as the Elecraft UI is pretty similar across all three.

Of course the other option is an KXPA100. While I am sure I would like to have one, pricing on those was also pushing into K3 territory and since I was unlikely to use the amp anywhere but in the shack, I went with the K3.
K4SWL
Site Admin

Post by K4SWL »

I’ve owned both the Elecraft K2/10 and K2/100.

I acquired a K2/10 in 2008 or so and absolutely loved the radio. After I purchased my KX3 in 2013, however, it was rarely used and sat on my shelf as a “back-up” radio. Eventually, I decided to sell it and did so with ease. Within a week of selling it, a local ham posted on our club email list that he was selling a K2/100 in an SK sale. He wasn’t sure of all of the upgrades, but knew it was a K2/100. The price was very low, but there were no takers after a few days, so I bought it. I used the K2/100 for a few years and it served as a back-up 100 watt radio. I eventually sold it, though, to purchase a KXPA100 used.

I don't regret buying the KXPA100 even though I very rarely run more than 5 or 10 watts, but I do regret selling the K2.

For a new ham, I wouldn't normally recommend the K2 only because it's difficult to really know what you're getting when you buy it. You need to have a pretty good understanding of the various firmware revisions (upgrades were not by USB, some required new chips) and options. The array of options are dizzying! Some models may be super basic, 10 watts, CW only, and 80-10 meters. Others may have full DSP packages, filters, 160M, 100 watts, etc.

Also, the K2 was a kit, so construction quality will vary greatly unit-to-unit. Some will be professional, others might be pretty rough with mediocre solder joints. You really have to pop it open and scan the boards.

That said, if I found a good deal on a reasonably appointed K2? Yeah, I'd probably buy it! :)

Can it compete with a KX3? No. But at the time, it was near the top of Rob Sherwood's list. It's got great audio and wonderful field specs.

Cheers,
Thomas
K4SWL