New ham interested in CW

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
Netdewt

Re: New ham interested in CW

Post by Netdewt »

SkipRD wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:36 am
Netdewt wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:29 pm I can't find it on their website - does anyone know what the CW Ops Academy costs?
It's free.
73 Skip K4EAK
Wow, cool. I signed up for the next session.
NØEIA
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

K1GC wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:29 pm Another plug for KM4ACK kit. Packtenna stuff is nicely made, just just have to catch them when available. For other fully assembled options, check out N9SAB's ebay store. Tim makes some really nice antennas. His stock varies, so what you may see on there today is not all he makes. I have a few of his single band dipoles and a nicely made 1:1 balun that is like a stick of chapstick with bnc connectors on each end. His stock looks a little low at the moment, but you could message him if you are looking for something specific.

https://www.ebay.com/str/n9sab
Availability of everything is really frustrating.

I try not to DIY too much because I tend to buy parts and then forget about the project.

Ham sticks look awesome but I think I need all the help I can get, and don't want to have to buy a tuner.
NØEIA
K1GC

Post by K1GC »

The EFHW Kit from KM4ACK is a great option for that reason, all the parts you need are included and it takes maybe an hour to assemble. Make it the day it arrives.

If you don't want a tuner, you might consider buying or making a linked dipole. If you build it, you can make each section to have max resonance in the area of the CW band you want. That just requires wire, some plastic insulators you can make yourself, and ideally as simple 1:1 balun at the center feed point, though you don't have to have that.

N9SAB was also making some nice dipole and linked dipoles as ready to go antennas, so you might check with him on projected availability. A SOTABEAMS linked dipole could also be an option if you want ready made. DXEngineering claims they will restock in April, though it seems like SOTABEAMS stuff gets pushed back regularly.
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

K1GC wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:09 pm The EFHW Kit from KM4ACK is a great option for that reason, all the parts you need are included and it takes maybe an hour to assemble. Make it the day it arrives.

If you don't want a tuner, you might consider buying or making a linked dipole. If you build it, you can make each section to have max resonance in the area of the CW band you want. That just requires wire, some plastic insulators you can make yourself, and ideally as simple 1:1 balun at the center feed point, though you don't have to have that.

N9SAB was also making some nice dipole and linked dipoles as ready to go antennas, so you might check with him on projected availability. A SOTABEAMS linked dipole could also be an option if you want ready made. DXEngineering claims they will restock in April, though it seems like SOTABEAMS stuff gets pushed back regularly.
Not a good idea to use a EFHW without a tuner?
NØEIA
K1GC

Post by K1GC »

Netdewt wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:46 pm Not a good idea to use a EFHW without a tuner?
An EFHW should be fine so long as you know and operate where the antenna is going to have low enough SWR. There may be some variability depending on deployment, but if you keep things similar it is unlikely to be a severe difference.
SkipRD

Post by SkipRD »

Netdewt wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:46 pm
K1GC wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:09 pm The EFHW Kit from KM4ACK is a great option for that reason, all the parts you need are included and it takes maybe an hour to assemble. Make it the day it arrives.
[snip,snip]
I've never used a tuner with an EFHW, which is why I used and EFHW with the SW-3B. Testing my linked EFHW (the link is for 30m; all other bands I just use unlinked), here's how it tested:
40m: SWR < 1.5 across the entire band, with 1.24 and 1.14 at the CW portion edges.
30m: SWR < 1.2 across the entire band.
20m: SWR < 1.2 across the entire band, with 1.2 and 1.07 at the CW portion edges.
15m: SWR < 1.52 across the entire band, with 1.52 and 1.31 at the CW portion edges.
10m: SWR < 2.0 across the entire band, with 1.87 and 1.63 at the CW portion edges.
In other words, it's fine. 10m is maybe a little high, but the antenna is way good on 40, 30, and 20, which are the only bands my little SW-3B can use.

Hope that helps,
73 Skip K4EAK
M0RGM

Post by M0RGM »

Getting back to learning morse, I would actively consider signing up for the CW Academy with CWOps. I recommend this because having returned enthusiastically to morse after a gap of 27 years of use, I found the structured and fixed course format of CWA worked better for me than LICW (I'm a member of LICW) - but it's what works for you that is important.

CWA Fundamentals and Intermediate took me from around 10 wpm to 20wpm +

Practice, like playing an instrument is essential even after courses and between activity!

Richard M0RGM
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

SkipRD wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:57 am
Netdewt wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:46 pm
[snip,snip]
I've never used a tuner with an EFHW, which is why I used and EFHW with the SW-3B. Testing my linked EFHW (the link is for 30m; all other bands I just use unlinked), here's how it tested:
40m: SWR < 1.5 across the entire band, with 1.24 and 1.14 at the CW portion edges.
30m: SWR < 1.2 across the entire band.
20m: SWR < 1.2 across the entire band, with 1.2 and 1.07 at the CW portion edges.
15m: SWR < 1.52 across the entire band, with 1.52 and 1.31 at the CW portion edges.
10m: SWR < 2.0 across the entire band, with 1.87 and 1.63 at the CW portion edges.
In other words, it's fine. 10m is maybe a little high, but the antenna is way good on 40, 30, and 20, which are the only bands my little SW-3B can use.

Hope that helps,
73 Skip K4EAK
That's what I thought.

If I get a tuner, which one would you suggest?
Last edited by Netdewt on Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NØEIA
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

M0RGM wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:59 am Getting back to learning morse, I would actively consider signing up for the CW Academy with CWOps. I recommend this because having returned enthusiastically to morse after a gap of 27 years of use, I found the structured and fixed course format of CWA worked better for me than LICW (I'm a member of LICW) - but it's what works for you that is important.

CWA Fundamentals and Intermediate took me from around 10 wpm to 20wpm +

Practice, like playing an instrument is essential even after courses and between activity!

Richard M0RGM
I signed up! I went for Intermediate class because I can copy at 10 wpm, and I'll practice more before the class.
NØEIA
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

I do quite like the idea of using ham sticks. I don't understand yet how to implement them though.
NØEIA