What is the difference between QRP Guys and QRP Builder?

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
KL7MJ

What is the difference between QRP Guys and QRP Builder?

Post by KL7MJ »

I saw a link to qrpbuilder.com on a mailing list. The website and the products look very similar to qrpguys.com
Are the two sites related?
kc0myw

Re: What is the difference between QRP Guys and QRP Builder?

Post by kc0myw »

Not an official answer, and I've never ordered from either site (although there are things I want to order from each) but a quick look at the sites reveals this:

On the homepage of qrpbuilder.com is a welcome message that ends with:
Be Creative!… Don’t be a “Passive Consumer” of someone else’s imagination.

73’s

Ken – WA4MNT, Karen – KF4EEL
On the homepage of qrpguys.com is a welcome message that ends with:
For inquiries use: qrpguys@gmail.com

The QRPGuys…

Ken LoCasale (WA4MNT) – mechanical design, pc board layout, documentation, website maintenance
Doug Hendricks (KI6DS) – beta testing, kitting, shipping
Steve Weber (KD1JV) – circuit design, firmware contributor, kd1jvdesigns@groups.io
Kazuhisa “Kazu” Terasaki (AG6NS) – firmware contributor
Yin Shih (N9YS) – technical assistance, beta builder
Dan Tayloe (N7VE) – circuit design
John Stevens (K5JS) – website assistance
Cliff Donley (K8TND) – circuit design

It looks like WA4MNT is involved with both of them and manages both of the websites so I am not surprised that they have a similar look and feel. How much overlap and difference there is between the two companies I cannot speak for, but it seems that qrpbuilder may be more of a personal project for Ken and qrpguys is more of a group effort that he is involved in, but this is purely speculation.

An email to WA4MNT may provide a bit more insight, do follow-up here if you do that.
VE7GNR

Post by VE7GNR »

QRP Builder has a fantastic kit for an KX3 or KX2 CW paddle. This used to be available on QRPGuys, but it isn't any longer. I guess the QRP builder people decided there are enough Elecraft KX3 and KX2 owners that they wanted to continue to sell this product.

QRP Guys have a variety of great kits, I've build a few of them and really enjoy the kit building and then using the products too.
Ikey

Post by Ikey »

Ordered the version of the AX Elecraft antenna.
Came with wrong parts. Spoke to Hendricks, said he made a mistake and would send correct parts
when they arrived from back order.
I noted that I live and travel in a motorhome, could he let me know when he would ship, not knowing where I would be at that time.
Answer was “we are through, keep the parts” and a credit appeared on my payment account.
Parts are in the junk box, must have been a bad day….
Ira KB2DJJ
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

What is the part that you need? I have built one of these on my own using parts from the local hardware store. The only tricky part (for me) was drilling the hole in the end caps - you really need a drill press do get the holes straight and centered.
Ikey

Post by Ikey »

Thanks for the offer.
I know what I need, it is the BNC connector which I intend to get to once this trip is over.
Yes, I do have a drill press.
Again, nice to see the spirit of a ham helping a ham is still alive.
Vy 73,
Ira KB2DJJ