Bring lots of different types of antennas, just in case

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
KL7MJ

Bring lots of different types of antennas, just in case

Post by KL7MJ »

I activated Greenbelt Park (US-0668) on Saturday. By half an hour of operating, I was on my third antenna. I started (or tried to start) with a magloop, but a gust of wind knocked it over and broke the base. I then tried using a very small loaded whip, but after 10 minutes of calling CQ POTA without response and without being picked up on RBN, I switched to a trap EFHW. I was able to get my 10 contacts with the EFHW.

So my lesson was to have plenty of alternatives for antennas (and a cell phone charger for my wife!).
Andrew (grayhat)

Re: Bring lots of different types of antennas, just in case

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

or just a "one fits all" random wire which can be installed in different ways, including inverted L ;)
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

Bringing the "toy" vertical was a mistake, but I think it's good to have a wire antenna as primary, and the magloop (or other non-wire antenna) as a backup.
I was in Arizona last year, and while I was allowed to put an antenna in a tree, there weren't any good candidates so I ended up using the magloop.
Andrew (grayhat)

for "no tree" or "no wires up trees" situations, consider the *double t bar" antenna

https://www.qsl.net/hb9mtn/hb9mtn_vertdip.html

a ground stake or a tripod will support it, and while the gain isn't high, the takeoff is low, even if the antenna is near ground :)
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

Ok, now I feel like a dummy. I have a TransWorld TW2010 (pretty much a commercial version of your double T bar) but I was concerned about taking up too much space in the car. Next time...
Andrew (grayhat)

the double t-bar may be unsuitable for some spots, but imVVHo will serve you well in all other cases when you can't set up an endfed wire
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

I like the idea. I think I forgot about it because it's too big for me to take on an airplane, but for a local activation it would be perfect!

However, I'm glad I broke the base of the magloop close to home - I was able to modify the design with a thicker base and reprint it that evening.

Mike, KL7MJ
Andrew (grayhat)

KL7MJ wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:54 pm Ok, now I feel like a dummy. I have a TransWorld TW2010 (pretty much a commercial version of your double T bar) but I was concerned about taking up too much space in the car. Next time...
if the antenna is this one

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-tw-2010-p

then once closed it isn't too big and the weight is ok to carry it around for relatively short walks, as a note such type of antenna offers a pretty low takeoff angle even if the bottom is pretty low on ground, then willing to squeeze out every ounce from it, try it at the seaside ;)
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

That's it! It's well designed and comes in a great case. As far as size and weight it's about the same as a large folding camping chair when packed up.
try it at the seaside
That's a great idea!
Andrew (grayhat)

Please, post an update when you'll try it !