EFHW/RW - Attaching wire to balun

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
KL7MJ

Re: EFHW/RW - Attaching wire to balun

Post by KL7MJ »

More great ideas - thanks!
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

Just to try explaining it better, see the image below (ugly but hopefully "readable")
Attachments
efrw_winder.png
efrw_winder.png (227.2 KiB) Viewed 596 times
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

How does this look? The scale is 1cm for major lines.

Attachments
efrw_v2.png
efrw_v2.png (134.11 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Andrew (grayhat)

looks good !

the carabiner hole is useful both when the antenna is deployed and to hang it to a backpack wnen the antenna is wrapped, the velcro stripes will help keeping the wire/coax wrapped
Andrew (grayhat)

as for the radiator length, see here

https://k7mem.com/Ant_End_Fed.html#Not_Random_Multi

ensure to add a good guanella choke after the 9:1 and use at least one counterpoise wire with a lenght around 1/16 Lambda at the lower frequency (e.g about 5m if the lowest frequency is 3.5MHz, eventually add a 2.5m additional counterpoise to offer a low impedance return path on 10m)
Andrew (grayhat)

An example, using a radiator (wire) of 84ft and a counterpoise of 17ft a 9:1 and a wideband choke (Guanella) both wound on FTxxx-43, we'll have a random covering all bands (including WARC) from 80 to 6 meters with the help of an antenna matching unit by the way
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

I'm going to try a 29/17 EFRW. My home antenna is a 35.5/17, and works well enough for me. For the choke, I'm using N6ARA's choke design - 12 bifiliar turns on a T50-43. I've got it all built, and I hope to get some time to try it out today.
Andrew (grayhat)

KL7MJ wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:51 pm I'm going to try a 29/17 EFRW. My home antenna is a 35.5/17, and works well enough for me. For the choke, I'm using N6ARA's choke design - 12 bifiliar turns on a T50-43. I've got it all built, and I hope to get some time to try it out today.
it all depends from the bands you're interested to cover and from the efficiency you want to achieve; as I already wrote, to offer good efficiency the "random" should be "near" to 1/4 Lambda at the lowest frequency one plans to use it and must be away from 1/2 Lambda and even multiples at any frequency one wants to use; the idea is to stay far away from low impedance (1/4 Lambda or less) and high impedance (1/2 Lambda or even multiples of it) and have enough radiation efficiency (at least near 1/4 Lambda) to offer decent performance

Regarding the choke, while for portable use it's not so important, when it comes to a "random" it must offer very high impedance to CM currents, then the counterpoise(s) will help by offering a low impedance return path to currents; as I already wrote a 5m and 2.5m counterpoise wires should be fine in most cases for a "random" covering bands from 80 to 10 meters