KH1 full procedure to turn off internal tuner?

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
N8TT

KH1 full procedure to turn off internal tuner?

Post by N8TT »

Wish to use a remote tuner (gets fed DC on the coax) and KH1's tuner is not needed (and if internal tuner is left on it complicates things too much). Have read and read the KH1 manual to find the step-by-step procedure required to turn off KH1's internal tuner AND have done a good deal of ineffective poking without managing to turn off internal tuner. Help. Starting with the setting seen when turning on the KH1, what is the step-by-step sequence that will do the task? Thanks James N8TT
KB4VU

Re: KH1 full procedure to turn off internal tuner?

Post by KB4VU »

Go into the menu by pressing and holding the Menu button for at least 1/2 second. Use the AF/Mon knob to scroll through the menu items until you come to ATU MODE. Use the VFO knob to change the setting from AUTO to BYPASS. Tap the Menu button to exit the menu. Page 29 in the manual.
Switch Tap and Hold functions are on page 15 of the manual. I hope this helps.

72's Frank, KB4VU
N8TT

Post by N8TT »

Many Thanks Frank: I must have missed a step or have been too quick/slow. Will give it what-for tomorrow.
Great to receive help 73 James N8TT
N8TT

Post by N8TT »

Followed your procedure. Saw: ATU PARAM apparently it locks ATU (page 29), but BYPASS not available. Resorted to just pushing/poking and finally got ATU BYPASS. might never get this state again
Eventually, someone will craft a set of cribs for dealing with the many options. For now, the KH1 seems just an expensive toy that might be able to be used outside with whip or wire antenna, but far too difficult to use with remote tuner. Thanks Frank - you did help 73 James N8TT
KB4VU

Post by KB4VU »

Hi James,
The ATM Param menu item is different than the ATU Mode item. The Para setting allows you to manually change the ATU settings to peak it up. I
wouldn't worry about using it as the ATU does a pretty good job of tuning by itself.
To bypass the tuner you need to go to ATU MODE which is the next item from ATU PARAM. The choices are Not Inst, Auto and Bypass. The radio was
designed as a compact complete system for portable ops to save on weight and minimize the amount of extra gear needed to carry on a hike or to
use as pedestrian mobile. I have used mine with the whip,EFHW and random wire with both the internal tuner and an external tuner with good results.
It's a great little radio and I think if you use it as designed you will like it.

72's Frank KB4VU