Need help with TR-35

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
KL7MJ

Need help with TR-35

Post by KL7MJ »

I just finished building my TR-35 and have been testing it out as best I can with the bands. I have two issues that I'm concerned about.

1. The receiver motorboats on 40 and 30m, but is quiet on 20 and 17m. The motorboating subsides when I turn the VFO but immediately resumes when I stop.

2. The radio changed into RIT mode while i was tuning, and also changed bands and went into memory select mode. It does not appear to do this when I am not tuning the VFO.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm hoping to actually get on the air with this rig as soon as the solar activity dies down.

Thanks.

Mike, KL7MJ
w0rw

Re: Need help with TR-35

Post by w0rw »

Hi Mike,
Sounds like you have lost a decoupling capacitor.
Check all bypass capacitors on your +12V/+6V power line.
Look for missing or reversed capacitors.
Maybe you have a high impedance power supply.
Power the radio with a heavy duty battery.
Paul w0rw
KL7MJ

Re: Need help with TR-35

Post by KL7MJ »

I wrote to John, WA3RNC to ask him about it. He said he'd prefer to look at himself. Long story short, he said the issue was that my Talencell battery pack has a noisy internal voltage converter that caused the noise. I was very impressed that John looked over my radio and had it back to me in about a week.

I only had a few minutes to try it out yesterday, but it is a very nice sounding radio!