Fara-J fabric J-pole for 2m/70cm

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
KL7MJ

Fara-J fabric J-pole for 2m/70cm

Post by KL7MJ »

I saw a video for this antenna the other day https://vfcomms.com/shop/antenna/fara-j-antenna/
I've been building and using J-poles for over 30 years, and my favorite travel antenna for 2m/70cm was a J-pole made out of 300 Ohm twinlead. This is now my favorite travel antenna for my HT.
The price listed on the website is $70, but I built one for about $20 with faraday tape and ribbon that I bought online.
So far, it works great! I definitely am able to reach repeaters that I couldn't before, and it rolls up into a tiny roll, maybe 2"x4"x1" - the RG-174 coax that I use with it is a larger bundle.
If anyone is looking for a J-pole for their go kit, this is a great idea!

Mike, KL7MJ

P.S> Here are the SWR plots for 2m and 70cm:
Attachments
70cm
70cm
faraj_70cm.png (11.24 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
2m
2m
faraj_2m.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
DanielM6KEC

Re: Fara-J fabric J-pole for 2m/70cm

Post by DanielM6KEC »

Brilliant idea.
Thanks for the idea.
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

Now that's interesting; willing to improve gain you may consider using the same approach to build a so-called "oblong loop", basically you have a rectangle with the short sides at top and bottom, the sum of the short sides length will be 1/3 Lambda and the remainder 2/3 will represent the sum of the long sides length, the impedance will be around 50 Ohm and the antenna will offer two lobes with low takeoff angle

The attached pic shows a 433MHz version, but recalculating it for 144 or other frequencies won't be a problem, to tune it just shorten the vertical sides and move the horizontal one, once done it will be ready for use, notice that it can also be built using wire and two pieces of PVC pipe, in such a case when carrying the antenna, the wire can be wound around the pipes

oblong433.jpg
oblong433.jpg (63.05 KiB) Viewed 215 times
[/url]
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

Just in case, the images below shows the "oblong loop" recalculated for the 2m band, sizes are in metric units, the model is for an antenna built using teflon insulated copper wire with 1.5mm diameter, and they should be used as a coarse indication, recalculating them won't be a problem, I think

download/file.php?id=180
recloop144_01.jpg
recloop144_01.jpg (66.71 KiB) Viewed 151 times
the antenna is calculated for a centerband of 146MHz and the "SWR bandwidth" extends from below 144MHz to above 148MHz with a bidirectional lobe offering a gain of more than 9dBi and low takeoff angle

download/file.php?id=181
recloop144_02.jpg
recloop144_02.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 151 times
it may probably be built using the same approach of the one used for the J-Pole but offering much higher gain, although it won't be omnidirectional like the J-Pole, but that could be an advantage, I think :)