Will this compromised antenna work?

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
Brian - K3ES

Re: Will this compromised antenna work?

Post by Brian - K3ES »

Thank you Andrew! I had expected a stronger directional effect from the 2m whip, but your analysis lines up well with the QSO Map. The AX1 is not the best, but it is not a dummy load either. I guess even 5 watts of RF energy has to go somewhere. 😉

Best 73 de Brian - K3ES
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

Ok, added the car, the wireframe model is really raw, but it should give you a better idea and... yes, the car has an influence on the pattern, just look at the attached pic which shows the radiation pattern on the 20m band

download/file.php?id=179
brian02.jpg
brian02.jpg (72.11 KiB) Viewed 92 times
HTH !
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

Brian - K3ES wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:44 pm I was uncertain, but the AX1 continues to amaze me. A compromised antenna is, first and foremost an antenna.
Brian,
Location is also important. I have a homebrew DS1-type antenna (6 foot whip and a coil at the base). I can make contacts here in the lower 48, but I couldn't even hear anything on it from Denali Park last month.

Mike, KL7MJ
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

KL7MJ wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 3:56 pm Location is also important. I have a homebrew DS1-type antenna (6 foot whip and a coil at the base). I can make contacts here in the lower 48, but I couldn't even hear anything on it from Denali Park last month.
Mike, try this; open this mapping site

https://caltopo.com/map.html

center the map on your location, then right click the map and select "simulated view", that will allow you to see if there are "obstacles" toward a given direction ;)