Is the X6100 a keeper?

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
n9pmi

Re: Is the X6100 a keeper?

Post by n9pmi »

I have had mine for six months now and love it. I dont mind being an equipment tester for the price point. I have spent 25 years in IT and we have paid a ton more money to be testers for the likes of Cisco, Microsoft, etc. Maybe that is why i dont mind it. The fact that it opened up and you can SSH into the unit and make tweaks, changes, custom firmware, etc...that is the appeal for me.

At some point, I am always looking for other QRP and I am going to be looking at the (tr)uSDX next. So we shall see. If my life depended on the radio, I would not even question a 705 or KX2, etc...but for the hobby aspect, I am good with all of it.
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

n9pmi wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:15 pm The fact that it opened up and you can SSH into the unit and make tweaks, changes, custom firmware, etc...that is the appeal for me.
Do you have some link/document/info about such a "feature" ?
K8RBV

Post by K8RBV »

I've been looking at the X6100 for a long time. I've been holding off waiting for firmware updates and maybe other improvements. The recent QST review was thorough and technical, but didn't address some of the issues users have reported, like overloading.

But my big question is this: what do you do if it breaks? Just return it to Radioddity? What if it breaks out of warranty? I'm not the most technically adept ham, but have fixed many radios. The newer sdr small radios are probably beyond my expertise.

An ICOM 705 I know I can get support and if needed, repair.

Bob, K8RBV
KnoxvilleMike

Post by KnoxvilleMike »

I don't know the details, but there is an official repair site in Nevada for these radios.
Ikey

Post by Ikey »

Has anyone seen the QRPer blog this morning about the performance of the 6100 ?
Ira KB2DJJ
SkipRD

Post by SkipRD »

Ikey wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:01 am Has anyone seen the QRPer blog this morning about the performance of the 6100 ?
Ira KB2DJJ
Yup. I've been thinking about getting a 6100 for the same reason expressed above: the Linux core and the prospect of enhancements makes this a potentially great FUTURE radio. Unfortunately, the video confirmed by concerns: the poor front-end filtering and eccentric user interface causes me to hold off, at least for a while.
73 Skip K4EAK