too good to be true...$210 new IC-705 on eBay

Do you have general comments, notes or questions you'd like to share with others? This is the place.
K8RBV

too good to be true...$210 new IC-705 on eBay

Post by K8RBV »

Just have to wonder at this eBay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394164205108?h ... Sw2TBiwFMh

Lists a new IC-705 for $210.00 buy it now, free shipping. Seller is in Sri Lanka, yet the item ships from China (a long way from Sri Lanka). The seller's feedback is poor, and I'm assuming something is not right here.

Anyone have any comments or information ? And no, I didn't buy one (5 available !).

eBay listings come and go. This one is live as of 8:52 EDST on July 15, 2022.
K4SWL
Site Admin

Re: too good to be true...$210 new IC-705 on eBay

Post by K4SWL »

I've a ham friend who shared a link to a similar listing on eBay but for an IC-7300. He shared it during a DX conference several years ago. I think the price was something like $300 shipped for a brand new warrantied unit. The IC-7300 had only been in production for 6 months or so.

Even though he's a very intelligent guy and knew it was a scam--and I confirmed as much--that evening he ordered one anyway. He told me that he simply had to try just in case it was real because it was such a good deal. He already had two IC-7300s and said he'd resell it and make a profit.

A few days passed with no word from the seller (surprise, surprise) and, in fact, the seller was removed from eBay. He got his money back eventually, but it was a long drawn-out hassle.

I can't figure out why some people feel so compelled to try scams even knowing they're scams in advance. I reckon some people simply can't pass up the possibility of a "good deal?"

Anyway, yeah. You're right in that this IC-705 price doesn't pass the sniff test! :)

Cheers,
Thomas