TR-35 group/forum

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
Brian - K3ES

Re: TR-35 group/forum

Post by Brian - K3ES »

wg4z wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:00 am Brian, could you provide the dimensions of your EFHW that you use with the TR-35? Thanks. Max - WG4Z
Hi Max,

Sorry for the delay, I was traveling for field day. My EFHW for the TR-35 is cut for 40m, with links for 30m & 17m. I started with the 17m wire only, and cut it to about 27 ft. Then I put it in the air in my normal inverted V, but with the balance of length made up by paracord. Next, I used an antenna analyzer to cut it down in small increments until length was optimum for 18.090 MHz. Then I attached the link and extra wire (about 25 ft) for the 30m band. I put it back up and repeated the trimming process to optimize for 10.125 MHz. Finally, I did the same thing for 40m (extra wire started at 25 ft, and trimmed to optimize for 7.050 MHz).

I have not measured final lengths, but will do so if you wish (it will take me a few days to get to it). Just recognize that lengths are only optimized for the way I put up the antenna, and the soil conditions in my back yard. Let me know.

I guess I should mention that I built the 49:1 unun, but a purchased one should work fine. I used 28 ga magnet wire on a 43 mix, 0.5 inch toroid.
I also connected a 100 pf capacitor across the input wires. I wrapped the toroid with 3 bifilar turns and 18 more turns for a 21:3 (or 7:1) turns ratio.

Best 73 de Brian - K3ES
wg4z

Post by wg4z »

I really like the TR-35. Listed below are my observations on my TR-35:

WG4Z -TR-35 Notes

Has 2 CW Message memories but no beacon for them to be repeated. Very easy to re-record cw messages.

Separate input for straight Key and Paddle. If you want continuous carrier, plug paddle into straight key input and the dit paddle will key transmitter.

Changing the dark background with white characters to light background with dark characters helps outside in bright sunlight.

Power out is not linear with the power knob. When turning the power knob back to about the 10 o'clock position, the power is reduced to zero.

CW NR is much better than CW WIDE.

Keyer speed is very easy to adjust during QSO.

Volume knob adjusts the side tone volume in addition to overall volume.

A non amplified speaker works but amplified speaker is better.

AE5X at QRZ.com has a good article and activation using the TR-35. He shows the laptop feet which work great at a picnic table.

QRPer.com has good reviews and activations for the TR-35.

Field Day experience yielded good performance using CW NR on several antennas. Worked into Canada from NC.

Blue light is a a good indicator of 599 signal.

RIT works great with the main tuning knob used to move received offset indicated on the display. Found useful when rag chewing with someone that was drifting from transmit frequency.

Stored frequency on each band great for keeping your favorite frequency available on each band. Fast double click moves rig to the stored frequency.

There is NO indication of the Power Out or SWR. However, an LDG Z100Plus works great or probably an Elecraft T-1 should provide an indication of a good match on non resonant antennas.

Max - WG4Z
M0RGM

Post by M0RGM »

Have just taken delivery of my new TR-35 and wow, what a radio. This one is definitely a keeper!

Quick question, did anyone establish whether there was a .io email forum?

Also interested to know what keys people are using with the TR-35? My palm paddle goes very well, but what others are in use out there?

73/72

Richard M0RGM
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

M0RGM wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:31 pm Have just taken delivery of my new TR-35 and wow, what a radio. This one is definitely a keeper!

Quick question, did anyone establish whether there was a .io email forum?

Also interested to know what keys people are using with the TR-35? My palm paddle goes very well, but what others are in use out there?

73/72

Richard M0RGM
Hi Richard,

I absolutely agree that the TR-35 is a keeper. Everything you need, and no extras!

Regarding keys, I have three that I use for pack-portable QRP (POTA in the woods). They are:

CW Morse Pocket Paddles
https://cwmorse.us/collections/pocket-paddles

BaMaTech TP-III paddles
https://www.bamatech.net/morsetasten/ba ... y-rot.html

N0SA SP-X paddles (these are made by N0SA in small batches, with very limited availability)
E-mail: n0sa@att.net

All are quite workable, with construction and price varying greatly. YouTube channel "Red Summit RF" has good reviews of many portable paddles.

Best 73 de Brian - K3ES
M0RGM

Post by M0RGM »

Thanks Brian,

Interesting commentary on the keys. Like many of us multi-radio operators, I too try to keep dedicated kits and have multiple "sets" for my KX2 (general portable use including POTA), KX1 (gentle occasional use), MX-14s (very gentle occasional use), TX500 (wet POTA), MTR3b (SOTA), SW-3B (mobile back-up) and now need to do the same for my TR-35.

I've found the TR-35 sits beautifully in the Lowepro Viewpoint CS40 case; I might try and find a Lowepro CS60 case for it so that I can put the full kit in it, like I do for the KX2. Fortuitously, I have a spare portable EFHW to accompany the TR-35, My spare battery for the KX2 also works with the TR-35, but I am short of a key. Currently I'm using the Palm Paddle that usually sits with my TX500, I'm looking at another cwmorse.us key in green to match the TR-35, although the GHD CQ Gemini looks rather nice, albeit is a little expensive at around £160 ($190). Having invested a few years ago in a Begali (for use with my base station), I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money again - no matter how wonderful the key! Besides which another key at that price would cover a large amount of a TR-45, which I have so say is rather appealing..... Even the XYL was impressed when she saw the TR-45!

72s,

Richard M0RGM
K1GC

Post by K1GC »

My line up. I tend to switch them up and use them with different radios, but have been used with the TR-35 and work well.

N6ARA TPJ (carry as a backup), AME Ultra Porta Paddle, BamaTech TP-III, N0SA, CW Morse
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG (192.16 KiB) Viewed 2705 times
M0RGM

Post by M0RGM »

I have to say the AME Porta Paddle does look rather nice and would appear to be a good shape to hold in the hand whilst keying.

Any comments from Porta Paddle users on this? I'm trying to find a key with similar functionality to my Palm key, which I seem to move from radio to radio!

Thanks

Richard M0RGM
K1GC

Post by K1GC »

I have only briefly used a Palm Pico, so I don't think I can comment with any accuracy. The AME Ultra Porta Paddle (note Porta Paddle is different model) is a very nice paddle with magnetic return with good adjustability on the spacing and magnets. It should be noted that the forward adjustment screws on the sides (spacing adjustments) need to be avoided while holding or you will make a contact. You can replace those with recessed allen head screws to solve that. But I tend to dual lock mine onto a little field clipboard.

I like the Ultra Porta Paddle quite a lot, though the BamaTech TP-III is my my favorite and well worth the wait to have one shipped from Germany.
KB4VU

Post by KB4VU »

When I power up my TR35 on 20 meters it always starts on 14.262 in the phone portion of the band.
The other three bands always start at the bottom of the CW portion of the band. It's not a big deal, but
I was wondering if that is the nature of the beast or if there is a fix, maybe a firmware upgrade ?
I used it this morning on a POTA activation and got good signal reports and had a great time with it.

73's Frank KB4VU
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

KB4VU wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:56 pm When I power up my TR35 on 20 meters it always starts on 14.262 in the phone portion of the band.
The other three bands always start at the bottom of the CW portion of the band. It's not a big deal, but
I was wondering if that is the nature of the beast or if there is a fix, maybe a firmware upgrade ?
I used it this morning on a POTA activation and got good signal reports and had a great time with it.

73's Frank KB4VU
Hi Frank,

If you tune a band to a desired default frequency and mode, then "flip the [band change] switch up and hold it for a short while, the current frequency and receive mode will be stored in a semi-permanent memory."

The manual has more detail, but I think this is what you are looking for.

Best 73 de Brian - K3ES