Storage container advice for TR-35

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
K1YYM

Storage container advice for TR-35

Post by K1YYM »

Does anyone have advice on a particular rigid container to store and transport the TR-35 in a backpack in the field? I know I can look for a Tupperware-like container, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a good specific container that will protect the radio, even if I have to add some foam or similar material.

Thanks!

John K1YYM
KB4VU

Re: Storage container advice for TR-35

Post by KB4VU »

Hi John,
I got an Apache 550 case from Harbor Freight for I think $16. The Tr35 fits well in it, with the only problem being that when the lid is closed it
depresses the Tune knob very slightly . It has a removeable rubber tray in the bottom so I am going to cut that out to the dimensions of the Tr35
and put it back in. That should hold the radio in very snuggly. The only other problem might be the weight for backpacking, 1lb 6oz, not a problem
for me as my backpack is my pickup truck :D

Good luck!
Frank KB4VU
KB4VU

Post by KB4VU »

Hi John,
This is a correction on my previous post about the Apache 550 case. The reason the lid slightly presses on the Tune button is because I
attached two folding keyboard legs on the back of the TR35. This makes it about 1/4" higher when laid on it's back. Without the legs it will fit well
in the case and the rubber tray will keep it from moving.

73's Frank KB4VU
K1YYM

Post by K1YYM »

Hi Frank,

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

John K1YYM
K0BWR

Post by K0BWR »

I ended up using a Lowe hard side camera case. Radio fits nicely and has extra room for other items.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G4K2VFQ?ps ... ct_details
K1YYM

Post by K1YYM »

K0BWR, thank you. That looks good too.

John K1YYM
MarkJY

Post by MarkJY »

K1GC

Post by K1GC »

I have a couple of cases that work, but I really like the Lowepro Hardside CS60. A little expensive new, but I am finding them used for around $15 and they offer good protection and flexible storage space. So far I have found three used ones in near new condition on Ebay $15 or $16 each shipped. The two adjustable partitions allow it to work great for anything in that size range. A KX1 and MTR4B with a key and all cords work well. I have not tried it, but I think it could even work for my KX2. For the TR-35, it has good room and protection for the taller VFO knob.
IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1903.JPG (95.31 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
IMG_1904.JPG
IMG_1904.JPG (112.34 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
K1YYM

Post by K1YYM »

I just returned and saw these suggestions. Wonderful! Thank you.