TR-45L

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
wg4z

TR-45L

Post by wg4z »

I’m awaiting for the TR-45L to arrive. Any comments out there with your TR-45L?

Max - WG4Z
M0RGM

Re: TR-45L

Post by M0RGM »

Hi Max, I can sum up in one word, awesome! I've had my radio for 3 weeks (first in the UK) and it has been one of the most fun radios I've owned. There is something remarkably tactile and endearing about it, to the point that it's always the first radio I go to in my shack.

I ordered without battery or ATU, due to constraints on importing batteries and fact that I prefer a separate ATU (personal thing), also this is only ever going to be a base radio as I already have a TR-35 for portable.

The only tiny observation I have, is that I get an occasional resonant accoustic rattle from the speaker when tuning into a CW signal - no issues when on zero beat. Not really an issue as the bulk of my operating is done with headphones on. Otherwise, the combination of gain, RF and audio filters really allows you to pull out the weak signals.

In short, this rig is an absolute joy and pleasure. Not cheap in the UK given import duties and tax on top of the price, but worth every penny!

Richard M0RGM
wg4z

Post by wg4z »

Thanks Richard, I appreciate your post. I took delivery a couple days ago and so only have used in the shack since a hurricane was passing threw. My only concern so far is the difficulty in plugging in and unplugging the paddles at the paddle jack. It takes a pretty strong pull to get the cord out. Maybe that will get easier with more use.

I love the sound and the meter. That meter provides a lot of information. I’m still learning how to use the z-match tuner. At one point I took the tuner out of the circuit and used my LDG Z-100Plus tuner and it worked perfectly.

I got the internal battery and it is holding up strong after playing with the 45L in the shack all day yesterday. I don’t think I’ll ever need to hook up an external battery. I think the internal battery will last several activations. Since you use external batteries, does the battery check work OK on your 45L?

I have the TR-35 as well. But I’m appreciating all the extra features and information on board the 45L. A lot less hook up of extra stuff like the battery, tuner, speaker, etc using the 45L. I like the smooth tuning a little better than on the TR-35.

Max - WG4Z
M0RGM

Post by M0RGM »

Hi Max,

Totally agree with you on all your points, this rig is most definitely a keeper!

In answer to your question about external battery check, I've only run mine off a small (clean) switch mode supply and the battery check doesn't measure that voltage. So suspect the answer is no; maybe one to feed back.

As for the tuning, I opted for the same optical tuner on the TR-35, something that I would highly recommend. On my Venus SW-3B I find the switched tuning a little irritating (a personal thing), but I wanted something akin to my KX1 and KX2, the optical tuner o the TR-35 does just that.

Funny you should mention about the paddle socket, I've noticed that the one on mine too.

73 Richard M0RGM
K9DRP

Post by K9DRP »

I've had my TR-45 less than a week now, but have worked many POTA stations. And I want to say, before I offer criticism, that it's an operationally FB rig. I also ordered the bare bones version. If an OP wanted to add the tuner and battery options they'd have a great all-in-one setup. But since I have tuners and power options for many other rigs I opted to keep the price down and forgo the options. I don't go hiking with radios and it's not much more work to carry a little more equipment to the picnic table.

I'm a little disappointed that VFO A and VFO B does not provide split operation capabilities. I use split quite often. And although one can make it work with RIT, it's not nearly as convenient.

Also, I'm a tall guy. I find the front facing panel sits too low for my eye level when I'm sitting at a (picnic) table. I'm constantly bending down to view the function menus and meter. I suppose it will become less of a problem as I memorize the switch/function options, but I've done a lot of bobbing in operating the rig thus far. I thought about mounting the rear facing coax connection to the side, and with the use of a right angle power connector being able to set it facing up as do the TR-25 and TR-35. But I hate to go drilling holes into a brand new radio!

Still, I think it's a great little rig.

Don, K9DRP
Don, K9DRP
M0RGM

Post by M0RGM »

Interesting discussion; two points to add.

1. I've checked and the meter does monitor external battery power.

2. I find the tilt of the radio does impact on the viewing angle of the screen, but this is naturally dependent upon table/operating layout. It would be very easy to place larger feet at the front or use some othe stick-on tiltable laptop feet. But this is no different to any rig, just a case of getting the angle right.

Richard M0RGM