AX1 Antenna thoughts?

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
n2oii

AX1 Antenna thoughts?

Post by n2oii »

I am considering using an AX1 antenna with my QRP radio for POTA and other times when I can not use a wire. I realize that it is not as good as an EFHW, but has anyone had good success with it? I read the article in QRPer about it, but would like to hear other user responses. I plan to use SSB as I do not know code, or perhaps FT8 if that would work better with it.
Brian - K3ES

Re: AX1 Antenna thoughts?

Post by Brian - K3ES »

n2oii wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:54 pm I am considering using an AX1 antenna with my QRP radio for POTA and other times when I can not use a wire. I realize that it is not as good as an EFHW, but has anyone had good success with it? I read the article in QRPer about it, but would like to hear other user responses. I plan to use SSB as I do not know code, or perhaps FT8 if that would work better with it.
Do a search for AX1 over on QRPer.com. Thomas - K4SWL has done a number of POTA activations using the AX1. Most are CW, but I think he's done some SSB, too. I am always amazed at how well it works for him.

Best 73 de Brian - K3ES
M0RGM

Post by M0RGM »

I have one and have been really impressed by the performance, it's clearly a quality design and build.

Price is a little on the high side (especially in the UK), but a worthy investment.

Richard M0RGM
K4SWL
Site Admin

Post by K4SWL »

At one point in the past (I think in 2020?) I did use an AX1 to do an SSB activation. I really wish I would have recorded it, but back then I was doing less videos.

If I recall, I got my 10 contacts in about 25 minutes (something short of half an hour). I was running 10 watts and my signal reports were all pretty low, but I completed the activation. With CW, I've used 5 watts 97% of the time and never had an issue. Once, this year, I did use 10W on a particularly nasty propagation day. The AX1 has never let me down.

With SSB, you may need a little more patience, but if you can push 10 watts into it, I think you'll get your 10--maybe not as fast as with an EFHW. In CW? If you live in a populated half of the US, you'll have no trouble whatsoever (at least, in my experience).

I really need to do an SSB AX1 activation and record it. Putting this in my notes!

Cheers,
Thomas
K4SWL
n2oii

Post by n2oii »

Thanks for all the responses. They have been very helpful.

Bill - N2OII
ntilley905

Post by ntilley905 »

Bit of a late response, but I recently did a SOTA activation of W7W/KG-121 with an AX1 and 5W on SSB. I had good reports from California to North Dakota to Oklahoma to Utah. Check out my activation on sotl.as or similar to see the signal reports I received. It definitely gets the job done if the band cooperates!
n2oii

Post by n2oii »

Thanks again to all who replied. I just got it during the Black Friday sale. I will give it a try when it arrives and let you know how it worked out.
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

n2oii wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:54 pm I am considering using an AX1 antenna with my QRP radio for POTA and other times when I can not use a wire. I realize that it is not as good as an EFHW, but has anyone had good success with it? I read the article in QRPer about it, but would like to hear other user responses. I plan to use SSB as I do not know code, or perhaps FT8 if that would work better with it.
if your rig has an ATU, my very humble suggestion is to consider a "ramdom" (not so random, just not resonant) endfed, coupled with a 9:1 UnUn, followed by a decent choke and, by the way, with one or more counterpoise wires; as Thomas can testify, such a setup will give you the ability to hop on different bands, which for SOTA/POTA is a must, I think