KX1 ‘Wristmitter’

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
w0rw

KX1 ‘Wristmitter’

Post by w0rw »

KX1 ‘Wristmitter’ on 80 and 40 meters.

Last night i was wearing my KX1 as a 'wristmitter'.
It was rubber-banded to the underside of my left arm.
It worked pretty well and left me with a free hand.
It was really windy and cold tonight but i made it out to the park by dark.
Worked MO on 80 (my report was 339) and 40 Meters. i also worked KA4QJZ?on 80 meters.
W4DIM called me too...but he faded out.

Logging was a real problem since it was a cold and windy night. The 80 meter coil tuning was not stable as i walked. i usually run a base fed whip with no coils to avoid that problem.

There was no pile up on 80 Meters but Leigh, WA5ZNU, said he heard me. i heard Lloyd, K3ESE, and called but no contact on 80 meters, i got him on 40 meters.
i got into a contest and worked K0FM in MT, KE0G? in MN, and a few other stations.
It was a good night for the KX1.
i really didn't expect to work anyone on 80 meters with the KX1, there was a lot on QRN.
My ‘Fist’ may have sounded a little 'trippy', There are a lot of Yucca cactus out there and many rocks and gopher holes. i got off the trail so no one would get caught up in my dragwire.

No risk of setting the brush on fire with the KX1.
Thanks for every one who listened.
Paul w0rw/pm
Colorado Springs, CO
Wristmitter
Wristmitter
6412.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
M0RGM

Re: KX1 ‘Wristmitter’

Post by M0RGM »

Hi Paul,

What was your antenna set up?

Love my KX1, such a versatile little radio and part of my KX1 (SOTA), KX2 (POTA) and KX3 (base station) "collection".

Note your mod to the KXPD1 - always struggled with mine as an iambic key, it never seems to function well, yet all external keys work well.

73 Richard M0RGM
w0rw

Re: KX1 ‘Wristmitter’

Post by w0rw »

OK Richard,
i use a 10 foot center loaded whip most of the time. The KX1 ATU will load an 8 foot whip. i also us a dragwire when walking along..
Here is a close up of the 9V battery case on the KXPD1.
Paul w0rw
ExoCover 001.jpg
ExoCover 001.jpg (47.92 KiB) Viewed 3161 times