How to Convert the KXPD1 to Single Lever Operation.

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
w0rw

Post by w0rw »

i guess the first question is Why?
I use a single lever paddle when I am operating Pedestrian Mobile and find it better for sending while walking. My left hand seems to swing back in forth just like my right hand and
that makes a pretty stable sending platform. You don't have to worry about all those Iambic squeezing requirements. i can send faster and more accurately with a single lever key.
My KX1 had the KXPD1 paddle and it works fine but i wanted a single lever model.
The Conversion:
i converted it by adding an exoskeleton case over it.
i found an old 9V Nicad plastic battery case that fit right over the KXPD1. i epoxied an Exacto blade to the top and added a hook on the top of the Paddle mount. Then a rubber band held it in place.
The file size picture of the modification is too big for this site.
Paul w0rw
w0rw

Re: How to Convert the KXPD1 to Single Lever Operation.

Post by w0rw »

Here is a close up of the 9V battery case on the KXPD1.
Paul w0rw
ExoCover 001.jpg
ExoCover 001.jpg (47.92 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
w0rw

Re: How to Convert the KXPD1 to Single Lever Operation.

Post by w0rw »

Additional info on the KXPD1 picture.
The top black screw has a small terminal lug under it that is trimmed to make a pivot peg for the Exacto knife blade.
The Exacto blade is epoxied to the 9V battery case and the Exacto blade hole slips over the pivot peg.
You have to add a few pieces of card board or foam shims inside the plastic case to get the side to side spacing correct.
Paul w0rw