Earbuds for QRP CW Portable Operation

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
ac4fs

Earbuds for QRP CW Portable Operation

Post by ac4fs »

For years now I've done QRO CW operation with some fairly good head phones. I've built out my QRP portable kit, but realized my head phones would weigh as much as the rest of the kit, and be as large again. I did a quick inventory of my earbud collection, and found they are all "cheapies" I got when I bought some kind of inexpensive music player.

I'm looking for a good set of earbuds that are comfortable for long term use (up to four or five hours), are light weight, have great sound, and won't break the bank. Oh, another thing, I've got some hearing loss and tinnitus from my Navy days working around jets :?

73, Howard
AC4FS
Andrew (grayhat)

Re: Earbuds for QRP CW Portable Operation

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

ac4fs wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:59 pm For years now I've done QRO CW operation with some fairly good head phones. I've built out my QRP portable kit, but realized my head phones would weigh as much as the rest of the kit, and be as large again. I did a quick inventory of my earbud collection, and found they are all "cheapies" I got when I bought some kind of inexpensive music player.

I'm looking for a good set of earbuds that are comfortable for long term use (up to four or five hours), are light weight, have great sound, and won't break the bank. Oh, another thing, I've got some hearing loss and tinnitus from my Navy days working around jets :?

73, Howard
AC4FS
Howard. look for "running earbuds" those are lightweight, water resistant and low weight, an example

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Ultra ... B0746TMZ3S

there are several models/brands, just a matter of choice
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

Give your cheap earbuds a try. You may find they work well. I use whatever I find. Then if I lose or break them it's no big deal.
I usually cut one off anyway. That way I still have some awareness of what's going on around me. Then when the first half dies I just solder a plug to the other half and ready to go again.
It's just a 600 hz tone. How high quality can it be?

Rick N8TGQ
Rick N8TGQ
SkipRD

Post by SkipRD »

I agree with Rick. I use cheapos (like $10 Walmart earbuds) in my KX2 (and my SW3B before that) and they work fine for CW.

One other thought. Some earbuds come with a mic, which means they have a TRRS plug. I'm not sure if plugging a TRRS plug into a radio's TRS audio jack matters.

73 Skip K4EAK
KQ4EHE

Post by KQ4EHE »

SkipRD wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:01 am I'm not sure if plugging a TRRS plug into a radio's TRS audio jack matters.

73 Skip K4EAK
Second ring for the mic should either shunt to ground or be left open. Should be a-ok.
Wiggins N4EEL - Atlanta, GA
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

N8TGQ wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:47 pm I usually cut one off anyway. That way I still have some awareness of what's going on around me.
I prefer to use earbuds that don't block external noise - Apple earbuds (and cheap copies) are like that. They allow in external sounds, and allow airflow which makes them more comfortable for long periods of use.

Mike, KL7MJ