Xiegu G106 vs. FX-4L

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
KO4SQK

Xiegu G106 vs. FX-4L

Post by KO4SQK »

Want to do QRP SDR for Winlink with VARA HF. Period. Not saying never for voice mode, CW, or other digital modes, but strong EmComm focus so features and performance beyond Winlink and VARA HF not of high importance to me.

Favorite candidates:
Xiegu G106 with DE-19 adapter, in stock, growing community of satisfied users and mutual-aid forums
vs
FX-4L, one-man designer/producer but with a good reputation, backlog of orders for device, just coming into production

Questions:
1. anybody think I'm wrong to focus on this choice relative to my stated goals?
2. should I "just do it" with the in stock Xiegu, or might I get buyer's remorse unless I wait for the FX-4L?

73 KO4SQK Scott
SkipRD

Re: Xiegu G106 vs. FX-4L

Post by SkipRD »

As I'm sure you know, the initial reviews of the G106 were terrible and at least through firmware v.1.1 (now up to v.1.2, I think) didn't seem to be getting much better. And there seemed to be all the issues that plague other Xiegu radios (poor front end, splatter on xmit, etc.). All of which is why, last I saw, Thomas K4SWL wasn't too keen on even taking the radio for review (although I think he was going to give it a go -- I haven't seen if he actually did that. This is the last post I saw: https://qrper.com/2022/09/i-sold-the-xi ... -incoming/).

I don't know if this helps, but I ordered a G90 (which is only $100 more than a G106 and includes an internal tuner) but then cancelled the order when I saw some test data and concluded that the radio did not meet my own personal requirements. Specifically, the G90 was so easily overloaded and had such poor filtering that I wasn't confident it would work in the crowded/noisy conditions in which I often operate. So, in my own somewhat analogous situation, I decided to skip the G90, wait for a KX2, and play it safe. Obviously, though, your situation may be different.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what others think. And if you get the G106, be sure to post here how it works for you.
73 Skip K4EAK
KO4SQK

Post by KO4SQK »

Thanks for weighing in, Skip. Indeed I'm aware that Xiegu is infamous for releasing product that really is only in early "beta test" development and using buyers as testers, such that only after several firmware updates do the radios become "acceptable". That said, it seems there was one particularly negative, even suspect, early G106 review, but that there is a rising community of satisfied users. Obviously the attractive pricepoint vs. some of the more premier offerings it the tradeoff calculation many make - and part of my thinking too.

The FX-4L, coming from the same designer as the FX-4C, while only a one-man show, appears to have a heritage of higher quality at the time of release. Which is why I'm leaning that way but impatient for slow production and shipping ...

Anyone else care to comment?
73 Scott KO4SQK
KO4SQK

Post by KO4SQK »

Wondering if we can wake this thread up again? I see Thomas just posted a POTA activation with the G106. While his full review is still pending, I get the sense he sees good value in the G106 (when paired with the digital adapter).

Meanwhile the FX-4C is out from Yu, with at least a Facebook group generally pretty happy with it, and Yu taking responsibility for both HW and Firmware updates, promising signs for the kid-sister FX-4L when it gets released.

So I wonder should I go for the G106 now... despite needing two devices, or hold out for the FX-4L?

Any takers?
Scott KO4SQK
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

KO4SQK wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:28 pm Wondering if we can wake this thread up again? I see Thomas just posted a POTA activation with the G106. While his full review is still pending, I get the sense he sees good value in the G106 (when paired with the digital adapter).

Meanwhile the FX-4C is out from Yu, with at least a Facebook group generally pretty happy with it, and Yu taking responsibility for both HW and Firmware updates, promising signs for the kid-sister FX-4L when it gets released.

So I wonder should I go for the G106 now... despite needing two devices, or hold out for the FX-4L?

Any takers?
Scott KO4SQK
I'm not in the market for a new radio right now. If I were, and if I were considering the G106, I would wait for K4SWL's full review. It is scheduled for the May 2023 issue of The Spectrum Monitor. He will also release the review on QRPer.com in June.

73 de Brian - K3ES
WB5KHB

Post by WB5KHB »

I received a G-106 last week with the latest firmware installed. Overall, I find it acceptable. I have done a lot of cw with it evaluating it as I too, was a bit worried about some of the early reviews. Personally, not calling any names, but I would disregard the review that was early on and extremely negative. In all fairness, I really like this fellows reviews, but it is fairly obvious to me that he received a unit with some defects, and his means of looking at the spectrum for output signal quality is not acceptable to me. On to the radio. It is a basic QRP rig no fancy frills, built in AT, etc. I would say it's worst weakness is the lack of AGC when going from a weak signal to a strong one, as sometimes happens during a POTA session. Overall, there is something about the little rig that I like, maybe the solid but compact build, I'm not sure. I am anxious to see Thomas's review later this year since he has used it on several activations now.
SkipRD

Post by SkipRD »

I'd be careful about the G-106. While I agree about not relying on the reviews of certain YouTube "personalities," this month's evaluation of the G-106 in QST was pretty bad. QST always tries to point out some positive features and to avoid being overly negative, but the G-106 did not fare very well. Indeed, their description of the G-106's CW performance as "less than stellar" is about as negative as they'll get. And pay careful attention to QST's caution that, under the right conditions, CW operation may result in key clicks that are annoying to other users or get you noticed by ARRL Official Observers. Combining all that with the other technical notes, maybe it makes sense to look at other options. 73 Skip K4EAK
KB9JJA

Post by KB9JJA »

The x6100 would be a better choice. It has all the digital stiff built in. You would only need a USB cable no digital adapter needed. I am happy with mine overall.
F5NFB

Post by F5NFB »

Personally I have a G-106.
I only do CW with but to be factual, on August 24, 2023 I contacted ZL2IFB from France with only 5W and a G5RV.
He was equipped with an FT-857 with 50W and a 2 x 2 element antenna.
He still got me 549.
It is true that we were both in a low noise zone but the facts are there.
I still managed to make a contact that many cannot make with 100W.
I am extremely satisfied with my G-106 and will not change it.
Jo - F5NFB
KO4SQK

Post by KO4SQK »

Thanks, Jo. With firmware upgrades there seem to be a lot of happy G106 users now (including those doing digital comms with the adapter).

The FX-4L still isn't released so I'm warming to the G106.

Scott KO4SQK