New ham interested in CW

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
w0rw

Re: New ham interested in CW

Post by w0rw »

Morse Code Isn’t As Hard As You Might Think.

Just reviewing the Morse Code elements and comparing them to learning a foreign language I noticed that:

You don’t have learn the spelling of words, just memorize a few abbreviations and Q signals.

There will be no Diagramming or Dangling Participles.

Learning Declensions, Grammatical Inflections or Tenses is not needed.

No Pronunciation or Umlauts need to be learned.

And No Morse Code Tests will be given!

All in all, I subjectively calculate that learning Morse Code is 75% easier than learning a new language.

You can do this…

SOTA can help...

Paul w0rw
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

It’s going ok. My sending is pretty good. I can do 18-20wpm. My copy is still a struggle, I have to focus so intensely and hear things multiple times to get them.

Does anyone know of any VHF CW radios out there? I’m not finding much. I guess there is a “weak signal” crowd on VHF, but I can’t find any gear that’s not $1500.
NØEIA
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

I thought about getting an ft818 with one of the pandemic checks they sent out. After researching the VHF/UHF CW activity in my area, I got a new bicycle instead. It just didn't seem worth the investment or effort.

Rick N8TGQ
Rick N8TGQ
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

I have the Northern Lights Radio Club nearby. So I think there must be some folks on it. https://www.nlrs.club/

It's not very portable, but what about a Yaesu 991A? I don't have a base station at all yet. It wouldn't be a POTA rig really, but I have the Venus. There aren't many all band all mode transceivers anymore. I like the look of the older 897 but no tuner, no digital, and no waterfall.
NØEIA
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

You might consider joining LICW (the Long Island CW Club). Their list of live zoom classes is dazzling; a wide range of classes are geared to learning and improving CW skills. Others are focused on kit building, POTA, and many other intermediate and advanced topics in which we amateur radio folk find ourselves interested. Here is a link ~

https://longislandcwclub.org/
EI6LC

Post by EI6LC »

There're a HUGE number of morse training programs and devices.
To find almost all, please go to:

https://hintlink.com/development.htm#morse

Back in 1972 there were only LPs and cassettes to listen to or an 'Elmer' or a receiver [frustrating and limiting].
Only in the very early 80s did computers come along [DEC LSI-11 and TI TMS-9900, seen running morse practice at the University of Warwick, way before the PC and Apple!].
Feel lucky that it has been revolutionised!

The best s/w? Get some local opinion without flooding this board with opinions! :-)

73, Paul.
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

Opinions are what make the forum relevant! I learned the code from the ARRL tapes back in the 80s. No matter what method you use, it all comes down to time and effort you put into it. When I tried as a kid, I wasn't serious about it and never did get far.
Rick N8TGQ