KXB3080 upgrade on KX1

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
vincortina

KXB3080 upgrade on KX1

Post by vincortina »

I know what you're thinking, but . . .

Just after I got the upgrade kit in the mail, my life changed for quite a while and the upgrade kit sat in its packaging for well over a decade. Now I am in the process of installing it into a functioning KX1 which I built around 2005 (??) Anyone here have any experience with the upgrade installed after the kit was built originally? Just trying to get back into the groove and wondering what I may be facing. I love that little radio and I want to make sure I don't destroy it with some bone-headed move.

Incidentally, I also built a 4-band K1 around the same time and it has worked flawlessly for nearly 20 years.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Vin KR2F
KL7MJ

Re: KXB3080 upgrade on KX1

Post by KL7MJ »

Vin,
Thinking back, I didn't think it was too hard, but then I looked at the instructions again!
I think the key is to take it one step at a time. The nice thing is that the KX1 circuit board is relatively wide open and it's easy to fix your mistakes. I soldered an IC chip (a big one) in upside down when I built the ATU for my KX1. If I remember correctly, I cut it off the board and resoldered it dead bug style. 12 years later, it's still going strong!

73 es GL,
Mike, KL7MJ/4