CW POTA Activation, K-4463

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
ns6x

CW POTA Activation, K-4463

Post by ns6x »

I did my first CW activation today - actually tonight. Late shift. I actually got out a straight key, plugged it into my new-to-me HB1B and got on the air. I had made CW QSOs before, but used the PTT button on my mike to key the radio. I did that a lot many years ago while working VHF contests from mountaintops, not focusing on CW. I once made about 15 QSOs on 1296 using that method, not realizing that there would be that many people on 1296. I was the only one in the group that could make Morse code work.
I have a second home (needed to spend money in a tax sensible way after paying off my first house) in Big Bear City, about 7,000 feet east of Los Angeles, in the San Bernardino National Forest. To make POTA work, following the rules, or the intent of the rules, I have a few places that are in passes that are at almost 8,000 feet, on the edge of the hill looking over the desert floor about 5,000 feet below. Great take off angle. So I can go home after the activation. One site is where the Pacific Crest Trail crosses Hwy 18, so is a two-fer.
This activation today was at a different location at an 8,000 foot pass along Hwy 38, which is closed below the pass due to excessive rain and mudslides that washed out part of the road. Not a lot of traffic.
I had watched Thomas', K4SWL's activation video from Tuttle Forest before I decided to go out and make it work. I was a Novice in 1976 when I could only use code. I have been an operator in multi operator portion contests, including Sweepstakes (California record), CQWW, ARRL DX CW, and more. Morse is not a problem, but I haven't done it in a long time.
Wow, I was spotted by the RBN. HAMRS showed that I was spotted. I knew I was getting out. Before I made a QSO, I was spotted by the RBN. I spotted myself at POTA.app, and began making QSOs. I only made 21 QSOs, but what fun I had. I made many mistakes - sorry for those who are reading this who contacted me. I wasn't afraid to ask ditditdahdahditdit several times. I realize that those contacting me are relying upon me to make a proper and accurate contact and exchange, and upload to POTA.app. I was using my new to me Evolve laptop using hamrs to log. I worked at the tailgate of my truck. The HB1B was new to me last week, first time use. Most importantly, I had fun, and thanks to Thomas for showing me how to make the exchange. It was easy. Get on the air. I was using a straight key, so easy to slow down for those who needed me to, and speed up when I could. RBN showed me sending at 17wpm. I haven't been in a cw contest for more than 20 years. I am ready to get into contesting, dxing, using CW. Ready to make more CW activations. Did I say that I had fun?