Looking for KX1 with key

Do you have general comments, notes or questions you'd like to share with others? This is the place.
kf7lpu

Looking for KX1 with key

Post by kf7lpu »

I have been looking long and hard for a KX1. I am both an avid collector of unique QRP radios, and a lover of Elecraft radios. I have the full Heathkit series of HW7s, HW8s, and HW9s. If anyone is interested in selling their KX1 and hopefully still has its original key, I would be interested.
kf7lpu

Re: Looking for KX1 with key

Post by kf7lpu »

I am happy to share I found a KX1 and excited to try it out.
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

Congratulations! The KX1 is a great little radio, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Mike, KL7MJ
K4VOR

Post by K4VOR »

I searched for over a year before finally giving up and taking a gamble on one from Japan I found on eBay. It was a decent price, $500 and did not come with the KXPD1 but did include a Bencher Iambic paddle as a bonus, which I didn't think I would care for but wound up quite liking it. The seller knew nothing about the radio or even if it would power on. The listing was active for several weeks probably due to this. I contemplated it for quite some time. I had no idea what configuration it was, if it had the ATU, or if it was going to be DOA, but I finally pulled the trigger. Needless to say I was very nervous when it arrived. Only took 3 days to ship to the states BTW. Anyway, I was overjoyed just when it powered up and over the moon to learn that it was a 3 bander (40/30/20) with the ATU!

I have made hundreds of contacts with it since and just recently acquired the KXPD1 paddles on eBay as well so my Unicorn Rig is now complete! I highly recommend the internal Li-Po battery mod, posted on QRPer.com. It was a cheap, quick, and easy build and will last through 5 or 6 activations, well over a month for me. Also, at 14.8V the KX1 does +5W on 20M and almost 7W on 40M!

I built a field kit inspired by Thomas' "Ruby", - which is how I became obsessed with the KX1 and what started my search for one!

Good luck on your search! They are out there and you will find yours!
72 - Scott K4VOR

BTW, here's a photo of my kit: Image