Vertical antennas, an interesting discussion

Do you have general comments, notes or questions you'd like to share with others? This is the place.
Andrew (grayhat)

Vertical antennas, an interesting discussion

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

The infos are here

https://practicalantennas.com/designs/v ... s/5eights/

in short, a "poor" quarter wave vertical can outperform a 5/8 if installed at the "right" height, the trick is to adjust the top height :D
KL7MJ

Re: Vertical antennas, an interesting discussion

Post by KL7MJ »

A tribander on a 100 foot tower will outperform just about anything, but it's really hard to fit one in my backpack. I think the same thing applies here - a 1/4 vertical is probably easier to carry and set up than a 5/8 vertical, so even if it may technically have better performance it loses in the "total usability" category!

Mike, KL7MJ
Andrew (grayhat)

Re: Vertical antennas, an interesting discussion

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

KL7MJ wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:12 pm A tribander on a 100 foot tower will outperform just about anything, but it's really hard to fit one in my backpack. I think the same thing applies here - a 1/4 vertical is probably easier to carry and set up than a 5/8 vertical, so even if it may technically have better performance it loses in the "total usability" category!

Mike, KL7MJ
You're missing the point, Mike, pick a 1/4 wave Lambda for (say) the 10m band, that will be about 2.6m long, now calculate the length for a 5/8 Lambda for the same band, you'll get about 6.5m, now let's say that the 5/8 is placed on a 1m pole, the UPPER end of the 5/8 will then be at 7.5m from ground; now, get back to the 1/4 vertical (2.6m) and install it so that the UPPER end (the TOP of the antenna) will be at 7.5m from ground, just like the top of the 5/8 antenna, and you'll have the SAME radiation angle and gain, and all this using a 5m pole to raise the 1/4 TOP END at the desired height