Favorite portable antenna

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
KG5CMS

Favorite portable antenna

Post by KG5CMS »

Good evening.

Do you have a favorite portable HF antenna?

The Chameleon CHA LEFS is probably mine. I have homebrewed end feds before but mine are not as sturdy or robust and Chameleon's.

I love reading about antennas so please chime in.

-73 & Merry Christmas,

-Don KG5CMS.
N8TGQ

Re: Favorite portable antenna

Post by N8TGQ »

Check my antenna setup over in the field reports section:

https://qrper.net/viewtopic.php?t=150
Rick N8TGQ
KL7MJ

Re: Favorite portable antenna

Post by KL7MJ »

I'm a big fan of end-fed antennas - they're cheap, easy to deploy and versatile. I've made several EFHW antennas including a couple with traps that work great without a tuner. I'm currently using a 35.5 ft EFRW with a tuner as my "primary" antenna. The most amazing contact with it was with Kazakhstan on 30m using a QDX on FT8 from northern VA (and he called me)!
The only time I've had an issue with this type of antenna was in AZ, where I couldn't find a decent tree to hang a wire in. Then I used my trusty magloop as a backup, successfully activating two parks.

Mike, KL7MJ