Should I sell this FT-817?

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
KQ4EHE

Should I sell this FT-817?

Post by KQ4EHE »

I am really digging this radio, really my first HF transceiver, and I like that I can use all-modes on VHF and UHF - however: I bought it used from an estate sale ebayer - It does not have a CW filter. The articles I've read about finding the Collins filters and making your own are all 6+ months old now, you can't find the filters themselves, much less the original YT-122c. At least, not for less than the cost of a new transceiver.

Would you sell this radio and get something different? or just use it without a CW filter? I did some hunting at a park last week and didn't have a terrible time, but it would have been easier to notch out some adjacent signals and QRM.

I would keep it for satellite work, but by the time I think I'm ready to move from FM to linear birds I might have another option, (or will have moved on to another hobby :lol: )

Perhaps I could build a TR-35
Wiggins N4EEL - Atlanta, GA
N8TGQ

Re: Should I sell this FT-817?

Post by N8TGQ »

In my opinion, you'll never find another radio that does so much in one package. I don't own one, but have had many chances to use them during field days, etc. It still impresses me these days and I really don't see anyone coming out with something to take it's place-a truly portable radio that does it all. I never had any problems due to lack of filter. Nothing I worked was ever that crowded.
Keep it as a backup rig that you can use to cover for any other rig you have that might go down. I think you would miss it if you sold it.

No way to compare the TR-35 to this rig. 4 bands to all bands. Cw only to all-mode. Two totally different animals!
Rick N8TGQ
KQ4EHE

Post by KQ4EHE »

Right, I kind of love this thing. I don't have enough experience to know if the lack of a 500 or 300Hz filter is going to make my POTA life hell. Seems like in the last 5 or 6 months some Persons With Capital probably bought up all the remaining Collins filters for sale to hoard. I just got on the train too late.

Regardless, I watched another video on the TR-45L and put myself on the waitlist for a kit, seems like a solid radio for my quality/price point needs. By the time it's ready it can either be a present to myself for finishing a CW class, or I can flip the FT-817 to fund it.
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

did you consider this filter ?

https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/ft-817-filt ... le-ssb-cw/

not the same as the collins, sure, but the price seems reasonable and the filter may help improving CW reception... and then maybe you'll find a collins filter in a future

further infos

https://kd0hbu.com/2022/04/14/sotabeams-laserbeam-817/

HTH
SkipRD

Post by SkipRD »

The FT-817/818 are, by many objective measures, sub-standard radios. Meager power on the internal battery, no tuner, no sound card, bad display, etc.. etc. etc. BUT, they also have attracted a cult-like following, and they generate an incredible amount of enthusiasm among owners. I personally witnessed the mad rush when Yaesu announced it was terminating the FT-818 and people were climbing all over each other to get one. If I were you, I'd keep it, even as just (as suggested below) a backup. Who knows? Maybe you can trade it someday for a yacht. :lol: At the very least, if you were inclined to get rid of it, I'd hold out for a hefty premium. They're really in demand.

I agree with the comment below that the 817 and 45-L are in different categories. I'm partial to the KX2, but it's also in a different (i.e., price) category.

73 Skip K4EAK
KQ4EHE

Post by KQ4EHE »

Andrew (grayhat) wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:12 pm did you consider this filter ?

not the same as the collins, sure, but the price seems reasonable and the filter may help improving CW reception... and then maybe you'll find a collins filter in a future

further infos

HTH
Ohhh killer - I did not see this in my search. The modifications are no problem for me, either. Thanks for the heads up!
I'll still probably get that TR-45L when its ready, too :D
KQ4EHE

Post by KQ4EHE »

SkipRD wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:09 pm I'm partial to the KX2, but it's also in a different (i.e., price) category.

73 Skip K4EAK
Yeah, KX2 is my #1 choice but out of reach for now, unfortunately. Maybe a gift to myself in the future for accomplishing something substantial!
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

KQ4EHE wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:49 pm
Andrew (grayhat) wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:12 pm did you consider this filter ?

further infos

HTH
Ohhh killer - I did not see this in my search. The modifications are no problem for me, either. Thanks for the heads up!
I'll still probably get that TR-45L when its ready, too :D
if you'll go for that sotabeam filter, please, report back your experience with it, I believe it will be useful to others :D
KQ4EHE

Post by KQ4EHE »

So, the sotabeams filter arrived today and I sit down and open up my 817…… and there sits a 300hz Collins CW filter.

Did I not know what I was looking at when I opened it the first time? Did I simply forget? Have I shifted into another parallel world line where, in this reality, the filter was always there? I’ll never know, and it doesn’t really matter 😂

I also think I had the filter options set wrong in the menus. It works like a charm now.

However, the Sotabeams filter can be installed parallel to the optional mechanical filter, so I might still use it and report back. I was more interested in getting on the air today than soldering, which I do all day at work, so I left it out for now.

If anyone in the US would be interested in trying it out at a discounted price and saving on overseas shipping, let me know.