Cheap 32’ carbon fiber mast

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
MWG

Cheap 32’ carbon fiber mast

Post by MWG »

I just stumbled upon the Temu web site and app. Temu is kind of like a Chinese cross between Amazon and the Dollar Store. They sell telescoping carbon fiber ‘fishing poles’ that look quite similar to the masts sold as ham radio antenna masts. I bought a 32-ft pole for about $35. It took a few weeks to arrive, but its quality and finish are remarkably good for the price. Its weight is only 15 Oz! I just tried it out yesterday supporting one end of a Qrpguys 9:1 UnUn random wire. Worked like a charm. I have no idea yet as to its durability. I bought a wire coil-on-stake fishing rod holder from Amazon as a ground mount- worked perfectly.

Bottom line: a 15oz 32’ telescoping mast and mount for around 40 bucks seems like a good deal. Stay tuned and I’ll let you know if/when it fails.
shwylde

Re: Cheap 32’ carbon fiber mast

Post by shwylde »

Hello,

It has been nearly a year since your post. Has the mast held up to regular use?

Thanks.

Steven
KN3A

Post by KN3A »

I just cannot trust subscribing to Temu to even try.
Scott/KN3A
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

Also, carbon fiber masts are conductive, so they're a "no go" if one wants to use them for a vertical antenna, better looking for fiberglass poles, those will do double duty to both act as center support for a dipole/doublet or to put up a vertical antenna just by hanging the wire at the top and letting it drop down along the pole... and that's a "no go" with a carbon mast/pole