FX-4L ETA?

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
CAULKTEL

FX-4L ETA?

Post by CAULKTEL »

Hi all,

I pre-ordered a FX-4L in November of last year and still haven't received it. Has anybody heard if and when YU will be shipping these?

Joel
N6ALT
kc0myw

Re: FX-4L ETA?

Post by kc0myw »

Full disclosure, I have NO official information and a lot of this is purely speculative.

My understanding was that the FX-4CR was going to be released and then the FX-4L shortly after.

Some people began receiving the FX-4CR in late February, but then there were some issues that required re-working of the boards. A lot of the initial batch had to be sent back to Yu for modification.

I'm sure this additional workload significantly impacted the production schedule for the FX-4L. Recent reports are that reworked FX-4CR radios are making their way into the wild and progress is being made. I would estimate that with FX-4CR plans getting rolling again, it should be on the horizon for Yu to move to the FX-4L model.

Personally, I'm wanting to order the FX-4CR, but have to wait a few more weeks before I can do that and don't even want to consider what the lead-time is going to be for it by the time I order.

By all accounts, Yu has been very straight-forward and responsive to questions, but I would urge people to not flood/overwhelm him with emails and requests.

There is a groups.io group for the FX series of radios: https://groups.io/g/FXradio which could also be a good source of information, but I have not seen anything on there regarding production timelines.
CAULKTEL

Post by CAULKTEL »

Thanks for the info, yeah I'm a member of the FX-4CR group but very little information is leaking out regarding the 4L. Yu keeps telling me via email that the circuitry is the same for both models and that as he finds errors in the CR he is applying the fixes to both which is great. I guess what really bugs me is he continues to sell the FX-CR's while those of us that paid for our 4L's last year are still waiting. I'm just getting older and more impatient :D Thanks for letting me vent, I will continue to wait with everybody else.

Joel
N6ALT
CAULKTEL

Post by CAULKTEL »

Well, I got tired of waiting and just paid the difference and ordered the FX-4CR. After considering everything, I decided I really like the form factor of the 4CR better than the 4L. So now I traded one wait for another, hopefully my new FX-CR will be here soon.

Joel
N6ALT