Reverse Beacon Client App

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
Namu

Reverse Beacon Client App

Post by Namu »

What RBN Client app does Thomas use during activation videos? Looks like iOS, but I’ve had trouble finding one.

kc0myw

Re: Reverse Beacon Client App

Post by kc0myw »

I'll admit that I haven't watched all the videos all the way through, but I'm not sure what type of client app you are referring to. Would you be able to identify a specific point of a specific video where it can be seen to help others assist you?

The only thing I can think of that I've seen him use or heard him mention are the pota.app website and HAMRS logging software.

Is there some specific functionality or ability that you are looking for that someone could suggest a solution to?
M0RGM

Post by M0RGM »

Not sure about an app, but on Android I just access the RBN Web page - works for me. I've created a link on my "homescreen", so all you need to do is tap it and you are there.

https://www.reversebeacon.net/main

73 Richard M0RGM
Namu

Post by Namu »

https://youtu.be/vH7a3wQw1Ts?si=jfOZZsgT3a7sdLd9

In this video, at around 9:38, he mentions the RBN has spotted him, and we see his phone screen…later he mentions he’s going to re-spot himself. This phone screen appears in other videos as well.

To be clear, I’m brand new to POTA and SOTA, and I’m just figuring out how all of this works.

When I’ve been exploring the RBN website, I haven’t yet seen anything that looks like what I see on his phone screen, and I am thinking it’s an app that in a RBN interface of sorts…but I’m not sure.
kc0myw

Post by kc0myw »

What is he showing there is on the pota.app website. You can just go to it in your browser and it will look about like that. That site is also used for spotting yourself or others on SSB not just CW but it ties into the RBN to update spots for current activations.
Namu

Post by Namu »

Much appreciated!

AE8Q

Post by AE8Q »

I am jumping into this thread a little late....

As others have indicated http://pota.app can be used to tell if RBN has picked you up.

I found a different way, I use an App on my phone called HamAlert and can setup a Trigger to send a push notification to me when my callsign is heard or spotted on RBN, POTA, or a DXSpoting site.

I believe I saw one of Tom's (K4SWL) recent videos where he indicated a friend recommended HamAlert and he was doing the same thing now.

Ed AE8Q
ns6x

Post by ns6x »

I did my first CW activation yesterday, using HAMRS. Apparently, HAMRS connects with the RBN spotting network, and showed when I was spotted. I was surprised, and happy.