Arborist Throw Lines

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
Brian - K3ES

Arborist Throw Lines

Post by Brian - K3ES »

Use of arborist throw lines to deploy antennas has been discussed as part of other topics. Having a dedicated topic for questions, answers, and general discussion might be useful. Let me start with this:

I use a compact throw line kit for my operations. Stuffing line back into a small sack was slow and difficult. The video linked below from Thomas-K4SWL was life-changing.

https://youtu.be/smdros6XhyQ
K1GC

Re: Arborist Throw Lines

Post by K1GC »

I would also add that Thomas turned us on to this Marlow 2mm throwline available at WesSpur. Inexpensive, very compact and handles well. I was an instant convert once I tried it and figured it was worth a re-share in case others did not see it:

https://wesspur.com//items/thr112.html
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

When arborists use a throw line for tree work, they deploy the line over a limb, then use it to pull up a larger line for the heavy work. You can tie the end of your antenna wire to the throw line, then use the line to pull the wire over the tree limb. This creates a risk of getting the antenna wire stuck in the tree.

Instead, I have had success looping the far end of the throw line around the middle of my antenna wire. I pull the near end of the throw line to raise the middle of the wire as the apex of an inverted V, then tie off the near end to hold the antenna in place for operation. This keeps my antenna wire out of the supporting tree, minimizing risk of a snag. Even the lightest throw line has more than enough strength to hold a wire antenna aloft.

Lately I have been keeping my throw bag attached to the same loop holding the antenna wire. The throw bag has enough weight to bring the antenna back down for retrieval or for changing links to other bands, just by untying the near end of the throw line.
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

When retrieving my throw line from a tree, I remove the throw bag before pulling the line back. If pulled back with the line, the bag can swing wildly. If it flips over or around a branch, it can make a hopeless tangle.
John Foss

Post by John Foss »

I use a small s hook on both ends of my throw line so either end can be attached to the antenna or throw bag. What a difference a throw line makes over the old slingshot method. Even when I miss the limb, it’s easy to reset and try again. No tangles or getting stuck in the tree… and it stows so easily.
aa0z

Post by aa0z »

Here is a good video on throwing line methods.

https://youtu.be/3iRM1xODVks

I've also seen, and used, where you take the line through the weight and make like a pendulum, standing with your target behind you. Swing the weight between your legs a few times to get momentum and then launch it over your head towards the tree/branch.

I've gotten my throw weight 50 to 60+ feet in the air using this method, but the method in the video also works too.

Kyle
AA0Z
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

I prefer brightly colored throw line and throw bags, because I can always find the far end, even in heavy foliage.
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

I had difficulty deploying a wire antenna at my home QTH with slingshot/fishing sinker/fishing line, when the sinker had too little mass to pull the line down to the ground easily. So when I got my first arborist throw bag, I opted for a 14 ounce model. The line comes down every time, but I have to carry the extra weight. Recently I tried an 8 ounce throw bag. It works just as well and lightens my carried load. Experimenting pays off.
MarkJY

Post by MarkJY »

Brian - K3ES wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:31 pm Instead, I have had success looping the far end of the throw line around the middle of my antenna wire. I pull the near end of the throw line to raise the middle of the wire as the apex of an inverted V, then tie off the near end to hold the antenna in place for operation. This keeps my antenna wire out of the supporting tree, minimizing risk of a snag. Even the lightest throw line has more than enough strength to hold a wire antenna aloft.
Interesting idea. I may need to give this a try.
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

For antenna deployment, snagging the biggest or highest branch is not necessary. Even a slender or dead branch often has enough strength to support a wire antenna. And, while height may be might, heavy canopy or undergrowth can make it very difficult to deploy the antenna. So I look for clear space beneath my target branch.