Back Porch QRP Antenna

Do you have general comments, notes or questions you'd like to share with others? This is the place.
Brian - K3ES

Back Porch QRP Antenna

Post by Brian - K3ES »

During good weather, I like to work QRP from the back porch. In the past I have just pulled one of my field antennas out and worked things like a normal field activation. But the need to deploy, retrieve and re-pack the antenna from one of my field kits has caused me to skip the fun once too often. So today I built a semi-permanent QRP antenna just for back porch operations.

The new antenna is a 49:1 EFHW cut for 40m, and deployed as an inverted V. The centerpoint is supported by a rope in a tree, and the feedpoint is attached to the post supporting the porch roof. One key difference from my field rigs is that the new antenna is not built into a winder (after all, its purpose is to remain deployed and waiting). It took about 3 hours to build, deploy, and tune. I even had time to make a couple of CW contacts before the light began to fade.

I hope to catch you on the air!

73 de Brian - K3ES
Wb8yxf

Re: Back Porch QRP Antenna

Post by Wb8yxf »

What an excellent idea. I have the room to put up an EFHW that I have and leave it there in order to do the same. We'll see if I can fit the time in to do it...... Thanks for the suggestion.

wb8yxf