Linked End Fed Halfwave Antenna

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
JeffK9JP

Re: Linked End Fed Halfwave Antenna

Post by JeffK9JP »

Question.

What type of connector do you use for linking this antenna?

I just built a copy of the K6AEK 49:1 and 9:1 Unun. Very small to use, I just want to add a quick connection to the output of the Unun to try different length wire elements.

TU in advance and 73,
Jeff K9JP
Brian - K3ES

Re: Linked End Fed Halfwave Antenna

Post by Brian - K3ES »

JeffK9JP wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:04 pm Question.

What type of connector do you use for linking this antenna?

I just built a copy of the K6AEK 49:1 and 9:1 Unun. Very small to use, I just want to add a quick connection to the output of the Unun to try different length wire elements.

TU in advance and 73,
Jeff K9JP
Hi Jeff,

First, whatever link is used, I would be very reluctant to allow it to carry mechanical load. Specifically, deployment and retrieval of wire antennas often requires the wire system to carry load. As such, most electrical connectors require an alternate mechanical link to sustain load independent of the connector.

I have used or seen four types of electrical connections: soldered connections, banana plug connections, PowerPole-based connections, and knife connectors. I have also seen two types of strain relief to carry the load past the electrical connection: links where the wire is woven through adjacent holes, and loops formed in adjacent wire sections that are connected by a carabiner or spring clip.

I have a few pictures that can illustrate some of these concepts:
Switch on Plastic Link with Unlinked Knife Connectors
Switch on Plastic Link with Unlinked Knife Connectors
Switch Link and Knife Connectors.jpg (184.95 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Plastic Mechanical Link with holes for weaving wire, switch is attached.  Two wires are connected mechanically by the link, and are soldered to the switch, which acts to connect or disconnect them.
Plastic Mechanical Link with holes for weaving wire, switch is attached. Two wires are connected mechanically by the link, and are soldered to the switch, which acts to connect or disconnect them.
Link with Switch.jpg (166.73 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Knife Connectors positioned to make the electrical connection.
Knife Connectors positioned to make the electrical connection.
Joined Knife Connector.jpg (176.21 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Knife connectors snapped together to make the electrical connection.
Knife connectors snapped together to make the electrical connection.
Connected Knife Connector.jpg (176.26 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Hope this helps.

73 de Brian - K3ES