CW Morse SP4 paddle

Do you have general comments, notes or questions you'd like to share with others? This is the place.
K1GC

CW Morse SP4 paddle

Post by K1GC »

The CW Morse SP4 arrived today and I put them through their paces here at the shack. Excellent implementation of the N0SA design. Very light and well made. I left a comment to this effect in the QRPer posting on this, but I think these have the potential to become the new standard. These compare favorably to paddles that are twice the cost. I want a second set, but will wait for the first wave of orders to cool off.
IMG_2810.JPG
IMG_2810.JPG (136.31 KiB) Viewed 7600 times
M0RGM

Re: CW Morse SP4 paddle

Post by M0RGM »

Many thanks for the initial report; I ordered too and am waiting for mine to arrive in the UK.

I've also got a small collection of keys ranging from Palm Mini, Palm Pico, TeneKe, CWMorse.us through to a Begalli Traveller. These are all assigned to specific rigs. Looking forward to the SP4, this sounds promising!

Richard M0RGM
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

My CW Morse SP4 SOTA/POTA Key arrived this morning. Its body is 1/4" longer than my N0SA SP-X key. That fits well with my keying style, while remaining very compact. Adjustments were minor (I tightened contact spacing and increased return tension) and I was good for POTA hunting with my IC 7300 at 22 wpm. I am very pleased!

Brian - K3ES
K1GC

Post by K1GC »

I used mine for a quick SOTA/POTA activation today and it performed like a champ. Very pleased with it.
SkipRD

Post by SkipRD »

So, I got my CW Morse N0SA paddle and took it out for it's first in-field use when I activated K-2166 and K-2176. There are lots of things to like about the paddle: it's very well built and it's possible to adjust it for exactly the feel I want.

Even still, so far, it's not my favorite. Things may change when (if ever) I get my KX2 [Elecraft -- are you reading this?], and the paddle may work better in other situations (like sitting at a picnic table) (although I'm not sure why you would need it at a picnic table), but for operating in remote locations with everything on a lapboard, for me there are better options. A few things about the paddle: (1) With everything (SW-3B radio, picokeyer, battery pack, key, and log book) crammed into a small space, cord management is an issue. The N0SA paddle has a permanently installed 3-foot cord. I ended up coiling the cord with cinches, but even still it was just one more thing to deal with. I wish it had a standard 1/8" jack in the back or some other way to use shorter cords when appropriate. (2) The paddle is very small and lightweight, which is good for packing it in, but that makes it harder to hold than something a little larger, like the standard CW Morse paddle. I ended up using some dual-bond to fix it onto my lapboard, which worked (sort of). But doing that meant it was actually less usable than the standard CW Morse paddle, so I ended up using that one instead.

I like the paddle a lot, and I intend on keeping it, and (like I said) when I get my KX2 and have only the KX2, paddle, and logbook to deal with on a lapboard, I'm sure the paddle will work better for me. In the meantime, though, I'll stick with the CW Morse standard paddle.

Obviously, YMMV...
73 Skip K4EAK
K1GC

Post by K1GC »

I have had a couple of additional outings with mine since my first SOTA/POTA use. I tend to dual lock my paddles to a small clipboard, and with that setup the CW Morse N0SA has worked flawlessly for me. On my last outing I went as light as possible and held the paddle for the activation. With gloves on (depending on the gloves), fabric can work into the side opening and contact the side of the paddle and can impact the action. Would be nice if the side piece extending from the back corners could come farther forward. Also, I had not thought about it, but quickly realized that you cant let a finger or thumb bridge the two small paddle hinge points in the rear top of the paddle. Obviously, that can complete the circuit if you do (and even get a tiny shock!). These don't appear to pivot, so a single piece of tape would solve that.

I was having a hard time with the paddles when holding them, but not because of the size or even the issues noted above. I had a small bit of tree branch debris sneak into the center and lodge under the center tension fitting between the two paddle blades. I did not see it until later, but it was causing occasional malfunctions (sticking and double taps) that I could not figure out at the time. It was very easy to clean out and solve, but a reminder to check that spot if having issues.

On the attached cord SkipRD noted. I think that is a subjective detail, but I can understand how that might not be ideal for all. I happen to like the fixed cord on this and my other N0SA paddle. It is a good length for me and I don't have to worry about losing a separate cable.
W7UDT

Post by W7UDT »

I love the SP4 paddle... Some wish it had a 3.5mm jack, instead of the cord... but I'm happy with it. I own Palm Mini & Pico, a TP3, and several American Morse keys & paddles. The SP4 is what I'd reccomend. If someone made a 3D printed fist handle, I'd but it, given it's small size, and my keying style.

72 de W7UDT
K4RLC

Post by K4RLC »

Hey Douglas - Vy nice key collection. What is the key that is 2nd from right, the one with orangish quadrants ? Interested in that one. TNX K4RLC Bob
Brian - K3ES

Post by Brian - K3ES »

K4RLC wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:00 pm Hey Douglas - Vy nice key collection. What is the key that is 2nd from right, the one with orangish quadrants ? Interested in that one. TNX K4RLC Bob
The second key from the right is a BaMaTech TP-III. https://www.bamatech.net/morsetasten/ba ... y-rot.html