W0RW on the Santa Fe Trail

Would you like to share your field kit or field reports with others? Please share it here. We will pick some of these to share on QRPer.com as well so please include your callsign so we can contact you!
w0rw

Post by w0rw »

It was a bright and sunny day... I was using my PRC319 military backpack radio with a 10 foot whip on 14060 kHz, 1900z, out on the Santa Fe Trail.
This section of the northern Santa Fe Trail is very nice. It has many Ponderosa pine trees, Yucca and cactus. It was a warm day (+50F) but there was still snow on the shady parts of the trail.
This is not like the barren desert trail along US Highway 85 in NM. My XYL was with me taking pictures, punching buttons and carrying lunch and the spare Li-ion battery which I didn't have to use.
Here is a real nice trail map of this region:
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colo ... onal-trail
w0rw Log:
WA4DD Bob GA
KO8L Dale OH
W8MIS Larry MI
AA7VW Vern OR (i worked Vern with my PRC74 last week).
WD4DMT Mike FL
KC8LTL Ken MI
W3BBO Bob PA (I worked Bob before from the bottom of the Capulin Volcano in NM).
W7CNL Jack ID (I worked him the last week with my PRC74).
K9EW ED IL on his Heathkit DX-20 wow!
K7HV John WA
KO7X Alan WY (200 miles ground wave?)
WA2TDL Rick NY
WD8OCV Don OH
N6PN Matt CA with his K3
W1PID Jim NH
WA5KBH George LA
VA2RIO Rollande (YL) QC (I worked her with my PRC74 last week).
AA1MY Seab ME
K7SS Danny WA
WB3AAL Ron PA
W4FOA Tony GA
AD4WK John FL (Near the butterfly pavilion in Gainesville).
As I was walking along a tree snatched the top 3 feet of my whip. So with a seven- foot untuned whip I worked:
N7UN Guy NJ
KL8DX Phil AK (Near Denali N.P.)
When I heard a really weak station I had to walk off the trail to get the counterpoise (Dragwire) pointed to peak up the signal.
Thanks for taking time out of your day to copy my stumbling CW.
Paul W0RW
SFT Cop.JPG
SFT Cop.JPG (212.05 KiB) Viewed 5227 times