New ham interested in CW

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
M0RGM

Re: New ham interested in CW

Post by M0RGM »

Skip,

Care to share the details if your 40-30-20m end fed? Was interested on the par end fedz model but not obtainable here in the UK.

Richard M0RGM
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

Congrats on getting the SW-3b! I got to use one on a weekend adventure. It's a great simple, packable radio for the price.

The Par antenna was a great idea for a 3 band antenna, but the SMA connector blew it for me. An SMA on any portable antenna where you're connecting and disconnecting the antenna is just plain dumb. And they're using it as a switch! They must have got a heck of a deal on them.

I'm using the efhw mini tuner from QRPGuys. QRP kits sells the same circuit in a slightly different format. I use a 70' wire that has a knot tied in it at the resonant points for 20, 30 and 40 meters. I just unwind the wire to that point and lock it to the winder. No switches or traps to break or get hung up.
The mini tuner has the matching transformer, a basic SWR indicator, and a variable capacitor for fine tuning when needed.
I always use a collapsible mast these days. After seeing all the wire and lines lost in trees at the more popular pota sites, I believe these "natural towers" will be off limits everywhere soon.

N8TGQ Rick
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

Does anyone shop at Gigaparts or HRO?

DX engineering doesn’t sell Bioenno (why?) but their website is so far superior.

I can’t find anything on Gigaparts or HRO. Its like trying to use the internet from the 90s. Maybe I’m missing something. Even just trying to find a 25ft BNC cable is impossible. They have a listing for ONE, and it does even have a length listed.
NØEIA
SkipRD

Post by SkipRD »

M0RGM wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:37 pm Skip,

Care to share the details if your 40-30-20m end fed? Was interested on the par end fedz model but not obtainable here in the UK.

Richard M0RGM
I carry along with me at all times the KM6ACK version (here: https://km4ack.square.site/product/49-1 ... cst=custom). They're out of stock right now, but you can sign up for an email alert and they come back into stock regularly. I've also used the Ham Radio Dude version, the PackTenna version, and the ARRL kit version (my main portable antenna for QRO operations) (here: https://home.arrl.org/action/Store/Prod ... tId/133267). I also want to build the K4ARK version. I haven't used the tufteln version (here: https://www.tufteln.net/listing/1180647 ... rp-antenna), but I do carry his random wire with me and I assume his EFHW is of the same excellent quality. I haven't built the qrpguys version (here: https://qrpguys.com/qrpguys-end-fed-wire-antenna), which I assume works very well, but beware of Chinese counterfeits sold on amazon, eBay, etc.

Any commonly available option should work pretty much the same and even the kits are a cinch to assemble. At a recent hamfest, I conducted a session to build EFHW antennas and a dozen newbie hams built their own antennas in a couple hours.

Except for the size of the transformer box/winder (usually governed by the size (hence the power rating) of the toroid), all of the available options are pretty much the same: just a homemade 49:1 transformer, a capacitor, an antenna connector, 66' of wire, trimmed to the right length, and a box or winder to attach everything.

To add 30m, I just put a bullet connector inline. The distance to the 30m connector is 43' 10". Plugging in the connector gives me 40/20/15/10m, with a total length of 63' 9". Obviously, everyone's dimensions will be slightly different based on wire, typical mounting location, etc.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
73 Skip K4EAK
n1jeo

Post by n1jeo »

Like Skip, I have tried several EFHW matching units with good results. The kits are very simple and very easy to build.
I had a half dozen hams build matching units (my own kits) at a local hamfest. They learned about preparing the toroid ends properly
for soldering into a PC board.

Joel - n1jeo
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

I went with Tufteln 40M QRP EFHW kit, a set of links, plus spare 34' wire and a BNC to make a permanent 20M dipole for my attic.

Just need to choose a power source.
NØEIA
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

Anyone have experience using 3 or 4 18650 lithium cells in some sort of case? It seems to me that these could be a good QRP option.
NØEIA
SkipRD

Post by SkipRD »

Netdewt wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:55 pm Anyone have experience using 3 or 4 18650 lithium cells in some sort of case? It seems to me that these could be a good QRP option.
That's what I used for a while. Easy, inexpensive way to get 3 AH in a small package. Only downside is that Ii didn't use a BMS so I had to take out the batteries to charge them.
IMG_3162-small.jpg
IMG_3162-small.jpg (204.09 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
(Don't use these, or the SW-3B, now that I have my KX2.)

73 Skip K4EAK
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

I stayed with AA Nimh cells, since I already had them and the charger. They will last me for at least 8 hours of radio time. It gives me the option of buying alkalines at a trail-side store if I need to. I also carry a 9v transistor radio battery for backup.
Rick N8TGQ
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

SkipRD wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:17 am
Netdewt wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:55 pm Anyone have experience using 3 or 4 18650 lithium cells in some sort of case? It seems to me that these could be a good QRP option.
That's what I used for a while. Easy, inexpensive way to get 3 AH in a small package. Only downside is that Ii didn't use a BMS so I had to take out the batteries to charge them.

IMG_3162-small.jpg

(Don't use these, or the SW-3B, now that I have my KX2.)

73 Skip K4EAK
I'm convinced you've done it all, Skip. I decided to to the Talentcell, realized that it is just 18650 batteries with a BMS and charger for $28. Should arrive Monday and need to build antenna. We've had wild weather. Snowstorms last week, 80s this week.
NØEIA