How to attach a wire antenna to a fiberglass pole?

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
KL7MJ

How to attach a wire antenna to a fiberglass pole?

Post by KL7MJ »

I know that I could just tape the wire to the top of the pole, but are there any more refined ways to connect the end of a wire antenna (EFHW or EFRW) to the top of a fiberglass fishing pole?

Mike, KL7MJ
w2tef

Re: How to attach a wire antenna to a fiberglass pole?

Post by w2tef »

What I have observed among others with masts like that is they used a small strip of plastic. Drill a hole sized to position it where you want it to rest on the mast. Drill another hole to secure your wire. Slide the plastic strip over the top of the pole when you go to deploy it.

I suppose you could use a larger pit of plastic with additional holes if you wanted guy lines. Or an inverted-V. Or a dipole.

I guess a "plus" here is that with a carbon fiber pole, this could help stand the wire a little off the pole, since carbon fiber poles can impact the antenna's electrical characteristics. Fiberglass doesn't have that issue.
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

I use these clasps I found on purses at the thrift store. My daughter calls it a "lobster claw" clasp. It fits into the pole easily when collapsed, and I can work it one hand. Since the edges are all rounded over, the wire slides thru it easily. I've seen them at some craft stores.
The string is just something I can grab to pull the section out without having to tip the pole over.
Attachments
Clasp.jpg
Clasp.jpg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
Rick N8TGQ
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

Thanks, that gives me some ideas...
KL7MJ

Post by KL7MJ »

Well, I tied a piece of thin cord to the top of the pole and soaked it in super glue. Thanks for the ideas!
k8zfj

Post by k8zfj »

I've used a 1 or 2 #64 rubber bands, also provides some strain relief and easy to replace as they wear out
k8zfj

Post by k8zfj »

I've used a 1 or 2 #64 rubber bands, also provides some strain relief and easy to replace as they wear out