How do people organize/store wire antennas

Do you have a question about choosing a radio, installing an antenna, or are you simply seeking advice about getting started in QRP and field radio? This is a place where you can ask your questions and seek guidance from a wide variety of radio enthusiasts. No questions are too simple. You will be treated with respect here.
4X5WA

How do people organize/store wire antennas

Post by 4X5WA »

For those of you with multiple wire antennas, especially for field activations, how do you keep them organized at home?
Brian - K3ES

Re: How do people organize/store wire antennas

Post by Brian - K3ES »

4X5WA wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:40 am For those of you with multiple wire antennas, especially for field activations, how do you keep them organized at home?
I use mostly wire antennas for activating in the field: multiple EFRWs, multiple EFHWs, and a dipole. I keep each antenna wrapped on its own winder. Most of them are then contained in one of my field kits. Each field kit is based on a different QRP radio, and contains the supporting equipment needed for grab-and-go operation.

Best 73 de Brian - K3ES
John VA3KOT

Post by John VA3KOT »

My wire antennas are stored on winders inside small canvas pouches with a label attached. All the pouches are stored inside a large plastic weatherproof box that I throw in the bed of my truck when going on an activation. Frequently used antennas go inside my backpack. I also have an "emergency pack" inside my truck with a backup dipole, power cable, coax etc.
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

I devised a winder frim an old gift card that lets me lock the wire at any length. I put knots at the resonant points of the wire so I can work any band.
The points allow the wire to spin off very quickly. The "ears" and notches catch the half- hitch knot I lock the wire with.
Loop.jpg
Loop.jpg (63.88 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
winders.jpg
winders.jpg (75.18 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
Attachments
Points.jpg
Points.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
Rick N8TGQ
w2tef

Post by w2tef »

Rick: those gift cards are brilliantly cut!

Please forgive my ignorance: I understand keeping some windings on the card depending on the resonance you want for the antenna. But how do you make the connection to the radio? I'd be leary of hosting the winding card with the extra wire up into a tree lest it be more likely to catch on a branch. But I don't see a connector or even a long lead for connection in your example photos.

To OP: my current favorite method for storing wire antennas is by using DG1JAN/xOTA PCB's. I love the built-in balun and connector: it makes it fast to deploy and wind back up, and very neat and self-contained. For what it's worth, I built these with a loading coil according to step 10 in K6ARK's instructions to make my EFHW multi-band. Currently I keep my wound-up antennas in a banker's deposit bag: nice & flat, padded, zip shut.

73 de W2TEF Todd
4X5WA

Post by 4X5WA »

Thanks for the replies. For now I have a few wires on K6ARK's winders. Rick's system looks very convenient. I'll have to give that a try
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

Todd

The winder is always at the far end of the antenna.

Most of the time, I use a telescoping pole. For the times I'm forced to use a tree, I just throw the near end of the wire over from the opposite side of the branch. I really hate using trees in public parks.

My wires are light enough to use cotton kite string to pull them up or tie off the far end, using the winder as an insulator. That way it will easily break if caught in a tree. It will also decompose much faster than man made fibers would.

The 64:1 transformer is mounted on a board along with the radio. Everything but the antenna wire always stays connected. It's easier on the connectirs, and I can't lose or forget anything.
MTR3b small.jpg
MTR3b small.jpg (115.41 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Rick N8TGQ
w2tef

Post by w2tef »

Thanks, Rick. That's a clean, well-designed operating kit! Lots of good ideas in there.
4X5WA

Post by 4X5WA »

Does wrapping extra antenna wire at the far vs near end make a difference in the performance?
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

It shouldn't matter, as long as the connection to the tuner or radio is made with the winding not between the wire and radio. That means having uninsulated wire if the winding is at the near end. Having the winding at the far end will have little or no effect.
Rick N8TGQ