EFRW: some notes

Do you have general comments, notes or questions you'd like to share with others? This is the place.
Andrew (grayhat)

EFRW: some notes

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

Nothing particular, just a pair of links discussing the "random" wire antennas

https://f5npv.wordpress.com/endfed-rand ... w-antenna/

https://k8ua.com/2019/10/my-lid-moment- ... ndom-wire/

the first one is pretty long, but I believe it's worth reading with some attention, since it carries some often overlooked concepts which, once grabbed, will allow to squeeze out the max from an EFRW
KL7MJ

Re: EFRW: some notes

Post by KL7MJ »

Thanks for the links - something to read over the weekend.
I think part of the "problem" with EFRW antennas is the name. They're really End Fed Non-resonant Wire antennas - not just random lengths of wire.
The biggest downside of a non-resonant antenna is that you need more junk in the antenna chain (tuner, SWR meter of some kind, common mode choke) it was a nice change this week when I was tinkering with a base loaded vertical that connected directly to my rig!
Andrew (grayhat)

Post by Andrew (grayhat) »

well... the EFRW is not "random" as you already wrote, it's more an "aperiodic" or "travelling wave" kind of antenna, at any rate, the first link I posted, carries some concepts and facts which need to be digested to get a good grip on EFRW, so, if you want, take your time to read the whole "blurb", I think it will be worth; more often than not, when it comes to EFRW, people tends to set them up "as it goes" but that's a mistake imVHo since while the "random" is a simple antenna, it still needs some care to work at its best (see the 2nd link)

One thing I tried and is worth a test, imHo, is using a short run of wire connected to a ground stake in place of the counterpoise, it has pros and cons, but is something worth testing
N8TGQ

Post by N8TGQ »

An easy, simple rule of thumb that I learned helping my dad back in the 60s:

At least a quarter-wave on the lowest band you plan to work.
Not a half-wave on any band you plan to work.
Rick N8TGQ